Menu

Starting WWS in high school?

So my DD has very muddled thinking. She forgets and gets frustrated (part of this is do to emotional and mental issues beyond school) and I'm seeing we very much need backtrack to regroup. 

A) She needs to be successful (I'd rather err on too easy than too hard due to her emotional state and being overly hard on herself). 

B) I think she needs systamatic practice in the more basic skills of which WWS will be only a part. 

My major issue is I'm wondering if there would be hang ups with just starting in book 2 at least.  I also have book 1 already as I am working through it with my younger children but I think it would be way too easy but it is the TYPE of thing that she could use right now. She is Junior in high school and has good vocabulary and creative writing skills but she needs that systimatic analysis type work. Summarizing, outlining, annotating, and just synthesizing and processing  the information before she can move back to the rhetorical stage. It feels like I missed something with her and/or all this stuff fell out of her head.

I could also go through level 1 with her but just skim through. So she could do a couple narrations from week 1 in one day then move to outlining etc.  Whenever things don't look like they are easy for her we could spend more time and skip the grammar parts because somehow she knows that stuff like the back of her hand, probably from tons of creative writing. 

I'll also take reccomendations of books that have the same goals as WWS but targeting older kids. 

1 hour ago, frogger said:

I could also go through level 1 with her but just skim through. So she could do a couple narrations from week 1 in one day then move to outlining etc.  Whenever things don't look like they are easy for her we could spend more time and skip the grammar parts because somehow she knows that stuff like the back of her hand, probably from tons of creative writing. 

I would have ZERO problems using WWS 1as you described ^  for a high school student as part of an English credit.  Zip through the bits at the beginning of the book as needed, and spend more time on the topics that are needed. WWS 1ends with a simple research paper, which is a normal high school writing assignment. 

Jump into WWS 2 whenever WWS 1 is done.  Being able to do WWS 1 well will be a huge confidence boost.  You are meeting her where she is, and helping her move forward.  Nothing wrong with that, no matter what number is on the book.

• Like 3

I did an excercise with her from level one (narrative summary) and wow, it turned out long despite having worked on summaries before so we chatted and went over her notes and she redid it at 1/2 the length.  So instead of skipping assignments, we did one of them twice.

I think this is the right direction. 

• Like 1

In the front of my WWS 2 teacher book there is a section that explains how to accelerate Level One with an older student.  It might have it in WWS 1 teacher book as well; I just don't have it anymore.  However, I don't think there would be any harm in not accelerating and taking your time through it.  My kids are 14 and 16 and we are just beginning WWS 2.  I think that the material is perfectly suited to where they are right now, and I consider them to be decent writers.  I plan to cut out the poetry and literary analysis portions, as we have covered that material in other curriculum.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1