Menu

Bored 1st grader in PS in NYC, mom works full-time

My dd asked me what I could suggest for one of her friends. 

The friend's 1st grade son is too advanced for his Long Island school, and is bored in class. The friend heard that dd had been homeschooled and thought dd might have suggestions for resources to look into homeschooling for her son. Friend works 9-5. She is a tailor and is considering opening a shop in her home, thinking that might make work-plus-homeschool more viable. 

We homeschooled in Missouri, so I don't really know which homeschool groups and organizations to suggest she contact to discuss what it really takes to homeschool in the NYC/LI area. Anyone have any suggestions?

I found one old thread (2008ish) about parents who work at home while homeschooling, which I passed along. Any other resources for work at home/school at home combos, or working outside the house plus homeschooling?

Or, alternatively, any thoughts on how to make school doable for a bright kid who feels trapped?  Apparently there's a supplementary Saturday school in Manhattan, but they're in LI.

I don’t live in NYC, but with only one child and tailoring as an occupation, it would seem quite easy to make homeschooling work if she worked from home, since I’m guessing clients would only be there sporadically for fittings. I always worked (either full-time or part-time) while homeschooling one, often from home, and found it very doable with one child. As he got older, what made it especially doable was his ability to walk, bike, or take public transportation by himself to activities. When he was younger, more of my time was spent transporting, so I had to do more of my work when he was in bed. But I was also able to work when he was at a friend’s house or had friends over to play.

If she keeps him in public school, maybe she can talk to the teacher about letting him bring in books to read or a different math program to work on when they are working on learning things he has already mastered. Or do they have computers in the classroom he could use for more self directed learning. Usually a good, experienced teacher will be able to accommodate and challenge a wide range of abilities. So if she hasn’t already, she needs to start with a meeting with the teacher to discuss options.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, square_25 said:

We’re in NYC. There are lots of resources here. Is she in NYCHEA?

Not to my knowledge. I assume that's a good one to be in since you're mentioning it.  I know in our area many organizations are listed, but some of them really aren't worth the time, particularly if you're not a certain religion/denomination. 

I'll pass along that suggestion. I really think the most efficient thing is for her to talk to real live people in her area, so finding the appropriate groups to suggest to her is fantastic.

I suspect that this person is secular, or okay with a secular slant to homeschooling (given that she's friends with my dd) so this sounds really good.

My comment about religious groups was about what we have around here.  Some of them are pretty rigid about what's acceptable, and if you wander into one of those thinking it will be ecumenical you might be disappointed.