Menu

Building/constructions toys for a little boy

My son is 4 (will be 5 this spring) and is into building things. My mother will be getting him some Tinker Toys, and we have some of the cardboard bricks, some big duplo blocks, and some Magnetix, but what other cool building toys are out there? He seems interested in things like marble runs and other construction toys that move.

What are some tried and true creative constructions toys for little boys?

My youngest loved and still loves his Kid k'nex. These are perfect for 4 year olds. They are a great size and easy for little hands to build with. They come with lots of fun, zany animal type features as well.

Both of my sons are big into building stuff, and nothing beats Lego (or Duplo for you child's age). We have a wooden marble run that occassionally gets played with along with a set of Lincoln Logs. But we get the most out of Lego/Duplo and Kid k'nex/k'nex.

My youngest also likes these toys that Matchbox has made this year and last. They are these big vehicles that can be taken apart and reconfigured. Last year it was a big ship and a submarine. This year it is a space shuttle set. He's had his eye on the space shuttle all year and he's about to get it for his birthday this weekend from his grandparents. It's fun because its a vehicle and a building toy!

Here are a few websites to look at:

MindWare - check out the building sets category

Museum Tour - engineering and tech section

Constructive Playthings

The Construction Site - I think this store is going out of business, but check out the pixel blocks -

Back to Basics - building stuff is under the learning fun button

HTH

Our children love Kapla. They are precision cut wooden blocks with which you can easily built towers right up to the ceiling. They come with hardbacked books which are filled with stunning architectural designs.

Here are a few examples of things our son has built.

There is an American version too.

ACE Hardware has an adorable real kids' tool set. (And the box is shaped like a semi truck!) My son has his own drawer in Daddy's tool box in the garage with screws and such. He loves to go "work" in the garage and help dad.

Toys R Us has the Black & Decker and Home Depot toys. DS has most of the tool benches and toys (he loves to put the screws in the work bench and play with the nuts and bolts) but this year they had a Home Depot Bird House kit. It was all wood and real screws and it was about $5. It says it's for older, but I know my son could do it no problem. That was a gem to find.

We recently pulled out my dh's old Lincoln Logs and he is getting a kick out of playing with those.

I've also seen a lot of model kits at Michael's. I've picked up a few and we're probably just about ready for those. They were a dollar, I think?