Menu

Accountability Thread 9/1-9/7

First week of September. I'm hopeful that September will be a good month because August was terrible. 

To do today: deal with the aftermath of being gone from the house for three days. I'm still finding things that didn't get done that should have been done two days ago. Aggravating. I need to check schoolwork and get the schedules done for the four day week. I need to enter a few more things in the county fair. I need to write today and work on character stuff. Trouble is, I am so tired I slept from 8 to 8 last night, and I just want to go take a morning nap instead of catching up. 

• Like 1

@Critterfixer: wishing you a good September.  And: thank you so much for the Accountability thread. 

Today:

• plan day, plan week (including picking up with history), plan a general week to include lessons, plan a general day; groceries & a trip to the library
  • execute school for the day: essentials are science, art, languages, math; kudos for composition & English. 
  • plan week
  • figure out music enrichment
  • adjust elder DS' exercise
  • exercise
  • e-mail some character information to our DM ("dungeon master") for Monday's RPG; brainstorm a kind but effective way to engage some of the sexism inherent in the particular RPG that's being run
  • pray. 
Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Morning. DH took the boys to the in-laws. I think they are going to fish and probably do some work around there. I'm staying home and writing, catching up on school stuff, and general stuff like that. Must resist the urge to lie down and take a nap. I still haven't recovered completely from last week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

So far this morning, I have cleaned up my kitchen and cleaned out my fridge.  Threw a lot of produce away.  Doh!  I try so hard to not overbuy....and I still overbuy.  Ok, well, actually part of what happens.....I buy some things that need to be cut, and then I never cut them.  And there's no way anyone else in this house who eats cucumbers will ever actually slice the cucumber themselves.  🙄  But sometimes I do still overbuy.  I pitched out several zukes that I bought with no plan in mind.  Also mushrooms that I had used part of the larger container, when really I should have just bought the bulk mushrooms getting only exactly what I needed. 

I do this, too! 

Today is really hitting!  more on our plans later, I hope; for now, getting going with languages & basics, help elder DS with tummy issues, keep house going okay.  Celebrate DH who is home today for the last day of his vacation. 

• Like 1

Okay!  Elder DS is working away on his languages, plus he took a math test: for the rest of the day, some English and more foreign language -- we're catching up from last week which had his birthday and a couple days of him feeling very poorly.  

Younger DS did his English work, is almost through piano practice, and has a bit of Greek alphabet left to do.  I'm going to try for: Latin vocab review; Anki; body science; and then let him do some Ed Emberly Fingerprint people for art practice. 

• Like 1

I was a slug yesterday. It was awesome.

Actually, I wasn't a total slug. I got the grading and schedules done, rested, and then helped one of the boys grill dinner, and then went for a drive with DH in the evening. I call that a pretty decent day. Been better with more writing, but can't have everything.

Today's schedule is school and writing. I did my chores, and we don't have any major housework or cooking today. I'm hoping to get about 1,500 words on my novel that is close to complete, and do character work, as well as get a few things done for the writers' meeting tonight. 

• Haha 1

Morning! 

We are up and at 'em.  Today:

Younger DS: do body science, art/craft stuff, and some independent reading fairly early.  Then math, English, language/s, fingerprint drawings, an AO reading and drop into SoTW if we have time. 

Elder DS: we're on a cycle of "Pomodoro"s -- work 25", take 5" break, repeat -- that is: Greek; Latin; other subject; first "other subject" will be literature; then art; then science.  Still catching up after his sick days & he has an assignment due this evening; we'll have to work around his tummy troubles but it seems like today may be okay on that front.  Toss piano practice in around the edges. 

Me: align the day with our broader goals; focus on school during school; house; outside chores; exercise; dinner &c; planning (plan for lessons/prep for them; update our term goals to include wrapping up the middle ages;

ETA: I'm futzing with the above as I go over our term goals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Can we just cancel today?  I am not feeling too hot this morning, I didn't sleep well last night.  

I vote cancel, and nap in the afternoon.

I've got a few things to do this morning, but glad I rescheduled some of it for next week. I really am enjoying being mostly home this week. The boys are working on their school stuff, and I just helped the boy on cooking duty get his food ready to make this evening. He grumbled a lot about it today--"I thought I would only have to cook for two weeks!" He wasn't happy when I reminded him that I wasn't going to cook for him for the rest of his life, so he needed to learn. 

• Like 1

We got going right 'round 9 this AM, which is whoo-hoo for us!  First school goal accomplished.  They are doing independent stuff while I sketch out the day and eat breakfast. 

Happy news: elder DS' tummy continues to improve (on average 😉 ).  This was the first morning I've had to wake him up in months, he's been waking up with stomach cramps each day but today he was still happily in bed at 8:30.  Never thought I'd be glad to have a late-sleeping teenager!!!   and he's tolerating a greater variety of foods.  I sure hope this continues. 

Focusing on our term goals, we are finishing up week 2 of 6 in this "Getting Up STEAM" term, in which I want us to wrap up the Middle Ages work and get science and art underway.  Elder DS finished his Middle Ages history well enough last year, but I want him to read in SOTW2 parallel to his little brother so that he has his head around the basic historical situation as we head into more Renaissance/Early Modern.  Everybody's doing some science at the moment; now I'm going to drop in some review of the last several SOTW2 chapters we read before we hit the new stuff. 

For today: Everybody: SOTW2 (younger/elder), chapters 25 & 26 read & review; piano.  Elder DS: as much as possible of math, study languages, Greek class, Creative Writer, grammar, spelling, penmanship, history reading, BFSU3 discussion, art, aikido.  Younger DS: English (writing/grammar/spelling/penmanship), AO reading, math, study languages, body science, fingerprint art.  Me: planning time (incl. sketch out a daily schedule), work on house 15-30", exercise while elder at aikido, cook, order somethings we need, catch up with DH who's going out of town Sat.  

• Like 1

Today: school, starting with yesterday's list 🙂 ; plan out how I'm going to spread Early Modern & Modern history over our term system; exercise all around; class for elder DS. 

A very important, but not especially urgent, priority is to get elder DS just physically stronger: more stamina, more strength, prob. more energy.  I'm thinking it would be ideal to do several shorter physical things each day: a couple of easy, short runs; some very beginning weight training; some body-weight exercises; some ballet-style, some yoga.  There's no point in trying to make it "fun" as he'll hate it just as much but it is harder to make him _do_ "fun" things properly.  ie he will wilt desultorily every.single.time he begins to initiate a movement.  We do better with "I know this isn't pleasant but let's just get it done with" routines. 

• Like 1

Morning. Today is a full school day, and I'm handling some negotiations which may or may not go well today. I think extra caffeine and possibly some chocolate is in order. Other than that, we are going to grill for much of the afternoon (burgers at lunch, and ribs for dinner) and I'll make a blueberry cobbler, too. I have character work to do and story to write.

• Like 1

Today hit awkwardly; elder DS up a couple of times in the night with tummy problems &c.  My goals are to hit languages, math, and literature today; we have piano lessons and a library/grocery run after that. 

Yesterday I did a good amount of exercise with elder DS.  Goals for today are to repeat that: a couple of runs (still fairly short ones), some weight training, some ballet/yoga work -- at the moment it is all pretty brief, my goal is to work him up to a fairly normal/standard exercise regimen by Thanksgiving.  The sweet fellow is just so weak right now, without much stamina, after the months of being ill. 

And for later today: get groceries away fairly neatly, stabilize home so that it is calm for DH when he comes home, exercise for me of some sort, dinner -- not sure if we'll have dinner with my MIL tonight or not.  Ideally prep what I need to do tomorrow, DH is going out of town for a bit starting Sat. PM. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

For once, a day at work away from other things actually sounds really nice.

oh yes, my friend.  Being a working mother is _hard_, but everything -- including work away from the house -- has its perks, no?  Thank goodness, else who knows how we'd make it through.  

Speaking of: Saturday's goals here are to keep on keeping on.  DH had to leave (for a multi-day trip) several hours early which threw rather a monkey wrench in things.  I'll work to find the perk in that particular situation.  !!!  Meanwhile, for this week, I need goals that will be restorative AND keep us going forward. 

I think I'm going to plan for an essentially stripped-back school week, and work through a good deal of Bible stuff during my one-on-one with the boys.  I'd like to get elder "through" the New Testament fairly soon, so that he is set up to do a run through "The Bible and Its Influence" this year.  And neither boy has done any real Bible in months, the church disaster totally disheartened me. 

So: today, keep things going; draft a week of essential school with a couple of Bible Pomodoros per child/per day, clean, garden, &c.  Hugs to all y'all, or air kisses, or whatever suits. 

• Like 1