Menu

All About Spelling

Jennfam

Can my 4th grader jump into AAS? She's been at a hybrid school, but we are homeschooling this year and I just can't quite pick a spelling curriculum. I've used Levels 1-2 with other kiddos so I'm familiar about with the program. Just curious if she could start now and what level would I start her in? Thanks!

I put my 4th grader in AAS in the middle of last school year when our other program just wasn't working.  We started at level 1 and just completed one step (lesson) per day, taking a couple of extra days on steps that he needed more time to sink in.  We were able to complete Levels 1-3 in about half of a school year in this fashion, so I agree that your student could be up to speed pretty quickly.  

Now paying for all four levels up front for one school year is not quite so painless😂  But if you already have levels 1 and 2 on hand that helps a lot 🙂

If Level 1 is making her groan though, I've also heard advice to start at Level II for older kids starting out, and I think that makes sense.   The first chapter reviews most of the more challenging things in Level 1, and so if you find they need more work on any of the things covered, you can always go back to level 1 and do more work on it, but otherwise you could skip a lot and just move forward. 

If you decide to start in level 1 you could also do the 5 word test method once you get past the first few chapters on letter sounds and such and into actually spelling words.   You just test your child on 5 of the spelling words (random...not the first five since some of the last words are harder).   If they get all 5 right, skip that section.   If they don't, go through the section. 

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1