Menu

CLE or Easy Grammar for 2nd and 5th

staceyobu

I need these two children to have something slightly independent from me. My plan would probably be to eventually move them into Analytical Grammar. Little guy did FLL 1 last year. Rising 5th grader has done FLL 1, CLE 2 and 3, and then nothing last year.

Sometimes CLE seems like a bit overkill to me. I don't use their writing or handwriting. But, I would use the spelling and grammar, and it's still a pretty cheap program even just using the grammar. The 5th grade lessons look long and my 5th grader has historically needed to be dragged though school.

Easy Grammar looks like it might be less time consuming. But then all the reviews seem to say it's not as thorough. 

Thoughts?

On 8/2/2019 at 7:46 PM, staceyobu said:

I need these two children to have something slightly independent from me. My plan would probably be to eventually move them into Analytical Grammar. Little guy did FLL 1 last year. Rising 5th grader has done FLL 1, CLE 2 and 3, and then nothing last year.

Sometimes CLE seems like a bit overkill to me. I don't use their writing or handwriting. But, I would use the spelling and grammar, and it's still a pretty cheap program even just using the grammar. The 5th grade lessons look long and my 5th grader has historically needed to be dragged though school.

Easy Grammar looks like it might be less time consuming. But then all the reviews seem to say it's not as thorough. 

Thoughts?

I don't know what people mean when they say EG isn't "thorough." o_0 Also, it can't possibly be "all the reviews," because I know there are boatloads of us who love EG.

It is true that it does not do diagramming. I don't think diagramming is important, but if you do, then obviously you'd want something else. Also, it's *only* grammar, no writing.

I will always recommend EG. But I would *not* recommend it for a little 7yo person. I'd just do writing or copywork or whatever with him. Your older dc could do Easy Grammar Plus.

I use EG 2 as a nice intro to grammar at the middle of 2nd grade and through 3rd grade. We don't do grammar everyday so it takes us longer to get through 180 lessons.

Then we move to Fix It in 4th and 5th and AG in 6th-8th. Love, love, love AG!

I like diagramming for middle school but I don't feel like it's necessary for younger kids.

EG isn't really independent, esp at 2nd grade level, but it only takes about 5-10 minutes. I don't know about 5th grade level.

We do other things for handwriting and composition.