Menu

Not to miss Sonlight read alouds?

lulalu

Ds will be in 2nd grade. I don't want the full Sonlight program, I think it looks like just too much reading in such a short time.

I am wondering what can't miss books they have for the elementary years. What are some family favorites? 

There are so many. The one that stands out, though, is Understood Betsy. My oldest ds sighed when we finished it and said, “That was a wonderful book!”  We also loved Milly, Molly, Mandy.  I don’t have time to look at the lists now, but most SL books are good.

• Like 2

From the second grade packages specifically, we really enjoy Charlotte's Web, Homer Price, Little Pear, Owls in the Family, The Door in the Wall, The Cricket in Times Square, The Little Riders, and And the Word Came With Power. Some of the others we haven't read.

From third grade, we really like Toliver's Secret, Carry On Mr. Bowditch, The Sign of the Beaver and Justin Morgan Had a Horse.

Also don't miss (from some of the other elementary packages) Caddie Woodlawn, The Winged Watchman, Little Britches, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Understood Betsy, and Babe the Gallant Pig. My daughter loves Milly-Molly-Mandy but I don't see it on the lists.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, hollyhock2 said:

From the second grade packages specifically, we really enjoy Charlotte's Web, Homer Price, Little Pear, Owls in the Family, The Door in the Wall, The Cricket in Times Square, The Little Riders, and And the Word Came With Power. Some of the others we haven't read.

From third grade, we really like Toliver's Secret, Carry On Mr. Bowditch, The Sign of the Beaver and Justin Morgan Had a Horse.

Also don't miss (from some of the other elementary packages) Caddie Woodlawn, The Winged Watchman, Little Britches, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Understood Betsy, and Babe the Gallant Pig. My daughter loves Milly-Molly-Mandy but I don't see it on the lists.

Yes loved Winged Watchman and the Little Riders. We also loved most of these.

• Like 1

One thought: you can complete SL read-alouds by making reading aloud a daily event -- so reading in the evenings, on weekends, over the holidays, and the summer... Just a thought!  (:D A few of our DSs favorite readers and read-alouds from SL cores for grades 1-4, that would fit well as a read-aloud for a 2nd grader:

good for 2nd grade:
My Father’s Dragon
A Grain of Rice
The Boxcar Children
Understood Betsy
B is for Betsy
Ginger Pye
Henry and Ribsy
The Mouse and the Motorcycle
Little Pear
Kildee House
The Courage of Sarah Noble