Menu

Best Children's Atlas

Slache

I have the Children's Atlas of God's World and I really like it, but it's not really a big book of detailed maps like a regular atlas. It's more like an overview of each continent/country with a few maps, lots of pictures, and interesting info. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. I use it as an intro to world geography, but if you are actually wanting detailed maps, probably a regular atlas would work fine.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hollyhock2 said:

I have the Children's Atlas of God's World and I really like it, but it's not really a big book of detailed maps like a regular atlas. It's more like an overview of each continent/country with a few maps, lots of pictures, and interesting info. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. I use it as an intro to world geography, but if you are actually wanting detailed maps, probably a regular atlas would work fine.

I like that one. And the DK Where on Earth Atlas. And the Lonely Planet Kids World Atlas...

For her very first atlas, we have Usborne's Lift-the-Flap Picture Atlas because of the flaps. She'll sit there, pouring over the page and studying each flap. Also recommend puzzles for the same reason. My kid spends much more time looking at those than a plain page in a book.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:10 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I have the Nat Geo one and have no complaints, but it's the only one I think I have for kids so I've nothing to compare to.

I bought it for use with Galloping the Globe last year or year before. We looked at it a bit, but honestly not a ton. At their ages then 5/6, 6/7, they much preferred a globe and a giant laminated  world map I'd unroll onto the floor so they could "hop" the countries. Oh and we have a ton of geography puzzles we pull out every so often. All of those have taken precedence over the Atlas. You might be dealing with children with better attention spans and more ability to focus on maps though.......

Where might I find a giant, laminated world map for hopping on? 🙂 My 5/6 would love the hopping and I love the idea of being able to roll it up. 

15 minutes ago, alahome said:

Where might I find a giant, laminated world map for hopping on? 🙂 My 5/6 would love the hopping and I love the idea of being able to roll it up. 

We have this one which is really sturdy but you could probably also go with a shower curtain.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0528012754/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1