Menu

Oral Math games?

lulalu

Is there a resource or book out there with different oral games for a variety of elementary math topics? 

We walk and take public transportation a lot and I need some go to games or activities for math. 

The other week I had ds count backwards from 100 for example. It made the walk seem shorter. Just need some more ideas. 

Games for Math by Peggy Kaye has a section about telling math stories where the parent makes up a funny story and then it is like a silly word problem.

It was things like planning a party for some make-believe characters (of whatever kind the child likes) and then needing to buy silly items.

I thought it sounded very cute! 

There are more in that book I think.

We have done “guess how many steps until.... we get to that tree.”  We have compared taking big steps or little steps (or noticed I will take fewer steps and a child will take more steps).  

We counted stairs whenever we went on stairs.  

• Like 2

Not sure of the age — but the Saxon math meetings for younger kids has things like:

counting up and down from certain numbers (not always starting at 1), practice starting at 40 and then thinning of 39.... lots of asking what is 1 more or 1 less than a number.... lots of skip counting.... lots of counting by odd or even numbers.... lots of counting up by 10s but starting with a random number — so it might be 3, 13, 23, 33.  

This is what I have done in the car.  

I do also ask “do you remember” questions about steps in a math problem if I know it’s either fuzzy or the math vocabulary or ability to talk about a problem is fuzzy.  Sometimes I have looked on Pinterest at “anchor charts” because they will give a really simple explanation, and I can remember those steps and the wording (and one of my kids in particular  benefits from this, he has a hard time learning steps in  computation and benefits from all kinds of review and talking about the steps and why we do them).  

• Like 1

Similar to what was suggested above, my son loves to take turns making up silly word problems featuring his favorite book, cartoon and movie characters. We skip count various ways. The Singing Walrus and Scratch Garden on Youtube have math related songs that we sing when the mood strikes. You could play Guess My Number or Nim orally.

• Like 1