Menu

T-shirt Quilt

brehon

DD18 and I finished one for her a few weeks ago using this set of instructions.  It was pretty easy.

https://monicapare.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/how-to-make-a-t-shirt-quilt-for-dummies/

DD18 did all of the cutting, ironing  of the backing and the straight sewing.  I jumped in to help with putting the back on and the binding on at the end.  I just have a plain sewing machine, so no fancy stitching, but it came out looking pretty amazing with all the different colored T-shirt’s she had from various Scout and Music events,  Because all the shirts were old, it came out very soft and she plans to take it to college with her in the fall.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've made 2 so far, for my 2 older boys.  I'm an experienced sewist, but not a quilter.
My goal was to make it do-able.
I would highly recommend this as a gift for your daughter.
And it's fun just to reminisce about all that the Tshirts represent.

1)  I bought this ruler:
https://www.amazon.com/June-Tailor-T-Shirt-Transformation-2-Inch/dp/B00C1LTAYI/ref=asc_df_B00C1LTAYI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167132310900&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10684412128874217450&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014633&hvtargid=pla-307407149986&psc=1

2)  I planned the layout on paper, and on the floor before cutting them out.
3)  I used an inexpensive fleece throw for the back side.
4)  I used this wonderful fusible tricot lightweight fusible web, to iron on the back of the Tshirt squares.  I can't find the name of it, but I bought it either at Walmart or Hobby Lobby--it's a common type of lightweight fusible interfacing.  It felt like a ladies' slip.   So it drapes really well, but doesn't stretch in a weird way.  Totally worth the $$.
5)  The whole thing only took about 10-15 hours.  It wasn't frustrating.  There's a bit of forgiveness in that you can adjust the blocks as needed.
I'm planning to do one for a friend's daughter, the process is that pleasant.

I love Sewing with Nancy's shows on Tshirt Quilts:
https://www.pbs.org/video/sewing-nancy-second-chance-t-shirt-makeovers-part-one/

And her company, Nancy's notions sells instruction books & more notions to help . . . but I wanted to do it all cheaply!

But I just searched examples online (& youtube) to get what I wanted.  I didn't want all the squares equally sized.  I didn't want to take the time to have borders on each square.
I wanted it to be a throw, not a bedspread.  And our sons had total choice over the Tshirts & the final layout. It worked out fine.

Go for it!

Quilt-NCSFinal.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1