Menu

IT Career Change?

This is a self-education for me. I already have a Masters in Ed plus some graduate specialty credentialing. In my organization, I've become the de-facto IT person for things we don't want to hire out. I like it. I was always the only girl in coding classes and such back in the 80s (hello BASIC), but I never did anything with it.

I've used Udemy classes and such for the skills I have, but I'm still young enough I feel like I should pursue some certifications. What is the most marketable skills I should focus on for the next 3-5 years? I see me going from 1/2-3/4 time back to full time in about 2 years. Right now I do some html/ css and maintain our website, and am learning the server/ SQL side for work, plus all of our in-house software.

TIA

I don't want to give the impression that this cert is easy to get, but w/ it you're highly marketable. My husband has two Epic certs. This is an article about Epic -- woman-founded, HQ'd in WI -- and the competitor is Cerner. My husband thinks Epic is the better, but Epic is his passion so I don't know anything about Cerner.

If this is up your alley -- go get em!! (I love your growth attitude!)

Alley

• Like 2

Consider AWS/google/azure (pick one) cloud certifications.  Large portions of currently on-prem computers,data,etc are moving to the cloud and it’s a distinct skill that’s highly marketable.  All the big cloud providers have good certification programs.

• Like 2

I've been looking at the CompTIA certifications. The first one "A+" wouldn't require much studying on my part, and they do have a Cloud certification, too. That's a good point about Cloud certification. Right now we are using a Windows server, but won't replace it when it ages out in 2-5 years.