Menu

DIVE Science

We've done DIVE ICP (integrated Chemistry and Physics) and DIVE Biology; it's kind of dry in presentation, but we didn't mind that. Video labs are accepted in my state, and I was very glad to not have to mess with dissections on my kitchen table, thank you very much. 🙂 I added in NOVA or Crash Course videos and other outside reading to pep it up. We used the disc version, not the online version. The disc version is a good value; I appreciate being able to buy it once and use it for multiple kids.  I've had to email the company with questions, and they were *very* helpful and prompt in replying.  The biology does have some God/creationism bits, but it is easy to edit that out if you need to.  Most of the content is just straight up biology, without delving into origins.

It was easy for me to keep up with grading, and be (mostly) hands off for those courses. 

It was good practice for my boys in learning how to listen to a lecture, take good notes, study, and then take a test.  Without any help from Mom.  😉

One of my sons who is not science oriented was able to pull a nice sold B in both the DIVE classes he took because he learned how to get into a routine of working hard at it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I used DIVE ICP with Physical Sciences: Concepts in Action for both kids. DD liked it; ds didn't. DD went on to use DIVE Biology w/ Miller Levine Biology and DIVE Chemistry with BJU Chem. Look at the sample videos of DIVE. They are very representative. If your children think they are deathly boring, they will think the same of the full program (ds did). If they like the samples, they will probably like the whole thing.

The program offers a solid on-level science curriculum. It is not AP. It is not AP if you add the extra DVD. As long as you're looking for solid high school science, DIVE could be a good fit. It is quite Christian. We usually paired with secular texts, but if you aren't ok with a heavy handed Christian program, you should beware.

• Like 1