Menu

Share your 2nd/3rd grade plans...

StaceyinLA

Haven’t home schooled elementary in a while! I’m gonna be teaching 2 of my grandkids 2 days/week to help my dd out this fall, and I’m just curious to see what others have lined up for those ages. Honestly, I’d like to have them together in whatever subjects I can.

Currently dgs (will be 3rd) is doing R&S for math, spelling and English, and nothing else really formal. They do a lot of field trips, and I do science projects with him when he stays the night. We are definitely wanting to kick it up a notch. 😜  He loves to write people letters, and has been doing a lot of that lately, so he’s getting some writing practice that way right now, but I’d like to embellish on that a bit and get him writing more stuff, but I don’t want to burn him out. They’ll be doing a co-op for a couple of subjects that’ll be “extra.”

His sister does R&S math and is just really learning to read (she’s going into first grade). She’s pretty smart, wants to learn, and I’m thinking if we did some of the history/science stuff on more of a second grade level, we could just put them together.

It’s just been a bit, and I need some fresh ideas.

Thanks!

With siblings:

1. KJV & Who is God?
  2. Homemade geography study with mapping, missionaries, artists, inventors, habitats and animals.
  3. RightStart games.
  4. Brave Writer games, poetry memorization, Teaching the Classics.
  5. Art of the Day app, Singing Made Easy.

By himself:

1. Bible journaling
  2. Some Texas history readings and Classical Astronomy to compliment our geography study.
  3. Strayer-Upton & Key to Fractions, decimals and measurement
  4. Reading Lessons Through Literature (spelling) IEW Fun and Fascinating, NaNoWriMo 3rd-5th workbook, typingclub.com
  5. Complete-A-Sketch, Big Yellow Drawing Book
  6. Elementary Greek, homemade Japanese

Subjects line up by number for together/independent comparisons.

• Like 1

I think you should take a look at Memoria Press Enrichment series (you could use second grade for both). I combined my younger two on it for 2 or 3 years. It was so gentle and fun! https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/art-and-music/second-grade-enrichment/

For my third grader, all I know right now is that I’m going to find/make an animal study focusing on endangered animals and animals that my DS has never even heard of (his words😊). I’ll probably throw in some geography with it. 

You could also take a look at Evan Moor How to Write a Super Sentence workbook. We did that together on the whiteboard mostly and my kids really liked it. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Evan-Moor-Sentence-Workbook-Teachers-Supplement/dp/1557996067/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=how+to+write+a+super+sentence&qid=1560047098&s=gateway&sprefix=how+to+write+a+sup&sr=8-1

Edited by mmasc
Add links