Menu

University of Washington CADRs and homeschoolers

EKS

This is a question for those of you who have had a homeschooled student admitted to the University of Washington in the last five years or so.

Can the CADRs be satisfied with homeschool (as in mom-designed and administered) coursework? 

Everything I've read makes it seem like it's ok, but I just want to make sure. 

My son has actually satisfied all of the CADRs except for English with outside classes.  He will have 2.5 outside credits (and 6 including homeschool) for English (including a college class) out of the 4 required, and his SAT scores are excellent.

My homeschooled daughter graduated from UW in 2017. I actually had to google CADR to see what it was :-D

I don't see any reason why homeschooled courses couldn't satisy those requirements. Does UW address homeschoolers on the website? Mine was applying in 2012, so my memory is a little foggy.

2 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

My homeschooled daughter graduated from UW in 2017. I actually had to google CADR to see what it was 😄

I don't see any reason why homeschooled courses couldn't satisy those requirements. Does UW address homeschoolers on the website? Mine was applying in 2012, so my memory is a little foggy.

Yes, they do address homeschoolers, and they say that the CADRs need to be satisfied, but they don't come right out and say that home-based coursework is acceptable.  Between your experience and a PM that I got, it sounds like it is ok though.

The daughter that went to UW definitely had a non-traditional transcript, if that eases your mind at all. Not the typical high school courses, no APs, lots of creative (and kind of flaky sounding) courses. She's also the one with no subject tests.

Yes, it's definitely possible to do it with home-based courses. They used to require a lot more hoops for homeschoolers (for example SAT subject tests for foreign language) but they don't anymore (and don't even look at subject tests if you send them, so don't bother.)

The student fills in their own transcript. You should review that part of the application carefully before hitting submit to make sure that the transcript as entered meets the CADRs. You don't send your homeschool transcript until after you accept the admissions offer.

38 minutes ago, JanetC said:

They used to require a lot more hoops for homeschoolers (for example SAT subject tests for foreign language) but they don't anymore (and don't even look at subject tests if you send them, so don't bother.)

I remember this from maybe 8-10 years ago when I first looked at UW for my older son.  It was more like the UC admissions nightmare.  This is the reason I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around how relaxed it is now.