Menu

Please share how you're using WWE for your children.

angela&4boys

I received my copy just last week and I'm overjoyed with this program. :DFinally! Something that gives clarity to the ideas of copywork, dictation, and narration. What a treasure with regard to SWB being both a home-school mom as well as an English teacher at W & M.

I'm particularly interested if anyone uses it below the suggested grade level. I find that my boys are on par with narration, but they are lacking in the area of dictation.

The Hive's thoughts are appreciated....

My boys are 7 and 9 and we started with the beginning of level 1 for both of them. Mostly because it seemed easier to keep them together. At this point we are 7 weeks into our year and I have since skipped them both ahead a little.

The 7yo is on week 14, sometimes he does two weeks worth in one week, sometimes we just skip a week. The 9yo is on about week 30 and will shortly start level 2.

It was nice to start with very easy levels so we could all figure out how it works, and moving ahead is very easy with the text to look at. Since we haven't been very good about copywork, I though we should get up to steam with that before we started with dictation.

In regards of using it at a lower 'grade', here is a quote from SWB:

We used levels instead of grades because...

young children progress at very different rates through acquiring the skills. The levels are roughly equivalent to grades, but reluctant writers may need to start at a lower level. Essentially:

if your child can do copywork well, but struggles a bit with one to two sentence dictations, start with Level 2,

if your child struggles with three to four sentence dictation and/or has difficulty with coherent, brief summaries, start with Level 3,

if your (slightly older) child can think of what to write but can't get it on paper, start with Level 4.

There are diagnostic tests in the Writing With Ease text to help you place your student.

which came from this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4853&highlight=WWE

HTH! :001_smile:

My son's sort of the opposite of yours in that he doesn't have much trouble with dictation, but struggles with narration. In most subjects, he works at a 3rd or 4th grade level, but I started him on level 2 with WWE, and it's been a good fit. The dictation and copywork are easy for him, but he definitely needs to be where he is in narration.

It was nice to start with very easy levels so we could all figure out how it works, and moving ahead is very easy with the text to look at. Since we haven't been very good about copywork, I though we should get up to steam with that before we started with dictation.

Thank you Mallory. This sounds like a great plan. I may start them out in an easier level and move at a faster pace until we level off.

We have just started WWE with my 9 yo twin dds. I gave one the assessment for year one and the other the assessment for year two. My conclusion was that one was ready to begin year two, and the other I started in week 19 of year 2. I tried using the sample pages for Week 19 from Peace Hill Press. The lines are just too big for older users, so we will be skipping the workbooks even though I like the idea of having the stories, narrations, and copywork already figured out for me. Now, I just have to figure out what stories I will be using.

Jennie

The lines are just too big for older users, so we will be skipping the workbooks even though I like the idea of having the stories, narrations, and copywork already figured out for me. Now, I just have to figure out what stories I will be using.

I printed the samples out and came to the same conclusion. I had hoped to minimize prep time for me. [pout] However, we do own StartWrite and I plan on taking advantage of it for handwriting and copywork. It is nice to customize Bible, history etc....

The lines are just too big for older users, so we will be skipping the workbooks even though I like the idea of having the stories, narrations, and copywork already figured out for me. Now, I just have to figure out what stories I will be using.

Jennie

The lines are too big for my DD as well, so I just have her write on the bottom line as she normally would write and basically ignore the top and middle line. Works great! I would never be able to pull this program off without the workbook.

The lines are too big for my DD as well, so I just have her write on the bottom line as she normally would write and basically ignore the top and middle line. Works great! I would never be able to pull this program off without the workbook.

Yet another great idea! Wow - the Hivers are on their game tonight! Thanks Anna.

Now I just have to decide! Why ,oh why, do I have to be so analytical?