Menu

I don't know what to do for 1st & 3rd Bible.

Slache

We do Bible stories in the morning (children's Bibles, Explorer's Bible Studies), thematic studies at night (catechism, Who is God?) and the 2nd grader is doing Created Bible Journal on his own. I'm not sure what to do for the morning. I didn't like BSGFAA and we're over Explorer's. We've read the stories so many times that I think we want something deeper, but there's an age problem.

I'm looking at Grapevine and Picture Smart. If we just open the Bible and read it my younger one will get nothing from it.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

.... Also there's an NLT one year bible for kids. 

^ I think that this is the one she is talking about.  We have used that one as a family read aloud for the ages you have and it worked well; one of mine also used it independently around 3rd grade as her daily Bible reading.

I also like Leading Little Ones to God.

Parts of it ^ may be simplistic for your older one, but it has a nice coverage of many topics that could be springboard for deeper talks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

^ I think that this is the one she is talking about.  We have used that one as a family read aloud for the ages you have and it worked well; one of mine also used it independently around 3rd grade as her daily Bible reading.

Parts of it ^ may be simplistic for your older one, but it has a nice coverage of many topics that could be springboard for deeper talks.

Ooo, those are really good too! I have both. My ds is *just about* to where he can understand the Beers One Year Bible. I just tried reading a bit to him this week. Haven't tried Schooland on him but used it with my dd and liked. 

The One Year Bible for Kids, Challenge Edition NLT (Tyndale Kids)                                       This is the one I was thinking of. I'm reading an NLT this year for the first time myself and really like it. The adult version has really thoughtful chunkings for the readings, so I've been trying to read through Proverbs with ds using the adult chunkings, if that makes sense. Reading just a little bit at a time like that lets him focus. With his ASD and language disability he gets lost when there's a lot, so he does better with something really brief and to the point that we can discuss. I want to try a catechism again with him but haven't thought that far. He's not really in a position to memorize, but I'd like him to understand. I might have a different book, I could go see. The BJU one I used with my dd years ago is just too stiff for him, too much language. He'd need something more like for 1st grade, sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

I think we have a winner!

We did Leading Little Ones to God a while back. It was meh.

• Like 1