Menu

Math for a verbal 1st grader?

If you want explanations, maybe Right Start is the way to go. It gives you a script to follow (or you can just use it as a cheat sheet) for presenting the lesson. For the early lessons, there are some very good auditory lessons - think you tap a pattern and he repeats it. There are a variety of manipulatives - you don't have to use them all, just try them and see what appeals to him.

I went through a lot of things with my dd for math, but I think RS was the best for solid early math concepts and for thinking math. It can be tailored to many different learning styles.

I don't have a curriculum recommendation per se, but I understand because I have a child who is exactly the same way. I have an only - so I have more time to spend 1 on 1 with him, so I don't know if this will work for you. But I'm using Math Mammoth as a spine, and we're talking our way through it. We'll do the work on paper, but with me writing (his handwriting is still to poor to do it) and he sees it written down, but most of it is discussing. He doesn't want manipulatives - except in money. We just discuss the new info and I give examples until he understand the concept.

HTH!

I've used it with 3 of my girls. It definitely is much heavier on the discussion than other math programs, so she would probably enjoy it more. It's also scripted, but can be easily modified to your taste, so it's a good fit for moms who want a bit more direction in how to present new concepts.

I've used RS with Singapore's CWP as a supplement and recently add Evan Moore's Daily Math Practice too for a bit of spiral review. It's working well for us. Good luck -

The reviews I'm looking at it say it is overly complicated. Have you not found that to be the case?

I'm sure it depends on the child, and on the parent too. I'm not comfortable teaching math, personally, so the RS approach is perfect for me. And at times I feel like, "This again? We already did this? How many ways do we have to cover this concept?" But the proof is in the pudding with my DD. She enjoys the hands-on approach very much. I can almost see the information clunk down into permanent places in her head, and have seen her take her math knowledge and spin it out in everyday situations. So yeah, maybe it's overly complicated for some, but for us, the high level of discussion works.

I haven't found RS to be overly complicated. I follow the manual and it flows well. There are a lot of manipulatives, but they all have a purpose and it keeps my on-the-go girl happy. The manipulatives are part of the reason I chose RS over MUS, because I knew she would get bored and burn out with just blocks. Also, when we revisit a concept, she's so proud when she can recall it and show me.

The reviews I'm looking at it say it is overly complicated. Have you not found that to be the case?

Maybe they say overcomplicated because it uses multiple approaches to the same concept. However, I think that is a plus it. If you try an approach and it doesn't work, you can not use it and move on to the next one. If you present one and it is too easy - cool move on. If you try one you would have never considered and it excites your childs imagination and the concept clicks, the whole process was worthwhile.

I saved my RS B that I had purchased for my older dd, and I purchased A for my younger dd. That is what I will use with her once she is ready for math. She still doesn't have conservation of numbers yet, so I'm not even going to bother starting math until she develops that concept and I'm not going to push it, she's my baby and she's growing up too fast already.