Menu

Which AoPS for summer?

My son enjoyed his school’s MathCounts team. He hopes to improve for next year (8th grade). I’m not clear on what book would be best for summer. He will take Algebra1next school year. I’m not sure if should look into probability or geometry or number theory? Or the Vol. 1 of Art of Problem Solving?

Does anyone have a review of the online Mathcounts prep class? 

Next train of thought, younger sib will be at same school next year and has interest in math competitions. The MathCounts team is mixed 6-8th graders. Ah, sibling rivalry is tricky. I’m considering Aops prealgebra for her. Or should I suggest something else? 

For both kids, I dont schedule math practice in the summer. My oldest will read anything and will occasionally break out paper and pencil to solve intriguing problems. My youngest isn’t as driven. I’m not sure how to guide her. 

Couple of comments:

1.  I heard a lot of good things about AoPS contest prep classes including mathcounts classes (basic and advanced) from the students who actually took the classes on AoPS forum.    Although motivated students could just do old tests, which are readily available for free, I believe the class can make the learning easier and more fun.   My son took several AoPS classes,  and he was in an AMC 10 class before dropping it to enroll at an AoPS academy class.   He pretty much enjoyed them all.  You can search for more related info on AoPS website including the forum.  

2.  If I were you, I would not have the kids take a complete break over math during summer.   I have been told that doing competition math is similar to working out.   If you don't do it for a while, you lose your skills and a level of fitness.  As a matter of fact, serious mathletes seem to approach summer as the most opportune time to improve.  

Sign him up for an AOPS account.  Then he can do the free Mathcounts trainer and Alcumus.  The prealgebra Alcumus has many Mathcounts problems.  He can also watch the free AOPS videos.  There are also Mathcounts specific videos, but they are for state level questions.  He can still watch those, but they assume a knowledge of algebra and geometry.  

If you really want a book, look into Competition Math for Middle School. 

https://www.amazon.com/Competition-Math-Middle-School-Batterson/dp/1441488871/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=mathcounts&qid=1557682401&s=gateway&sr=8-4

The AoPS MathCounts/AMC test prep classes are fun and they have less homework than the core subject classes.  They were the only online AoPS classes I had my students take.  The rest was self-study with textbooks at home.  

I'm not sure how competitive MathCounts is in your area, but if your student is serious about improving, he will be much more efficient if he studies on his own.  All of the textbooks you mention will be good preparation.  Around here, MC competitors have studied all those topics (algebra, geometry C&P, NT) in middle school if not sooner.  On his own, he can cover the material much faster than if he's constrained by the class schedule.  

You say you don't let your students do math practice in the summer.  So I'm not sure what else you have in mind to prepare for MathCounts, if not math?   

Edited by daijobu