Menu

Rightstart without games?

countrymum

I am currently using RightStart 2nd edition A and C with my children. I really like the lessons and its clicking with my kids. I will do D and B next year. However i have 2 additional littles and getting to games often enough is hard and getting harder. I see D says to play games at lest 3X a week. Has anyone found some other way to drill and practice other than just making up problems like are in the game you missed? Any thoughts are appreciated...thanks

We have used RightStart for years and have always been very pleased with it.  While it is a spiral math curriculum it is designed to also be mastery.   The mastery comes with the games.   I agree with Jackie that the same end goal can be accomplished with flash cards.  The idea with the games is to complete as many facts as you can, in game form, and then often times write those facts down in a journal.  We have always loved the games but have used flash cards in a rush as well.  Same thing!  The main idea is to master those facts and be able to recall them quickly (same as how much of the RightStart lessons start out with their review).  

There are online games for practicing basic operations, such as math playground and multiplication.com. There are also apps. Those don't track progress though. XtraMath does track progress but is not a game. You could let the kids play online games/apps a few days a week, play RS games with them once or twice a week so you know about where they are, then when they start getting fluent have them switch to XtraMath.