Menu

EDX: ASU GFA Pre-Calculus

X-post  Accelerated Learning.   Thought I try here for an opinion.   Has anybody used this class: https://www.classcentral.com/course/edx-precalculus-8489.  The 8th grader just wrapped up Thinkwell precalc.  1/2 of TW"s class was on college algebra function. The other 1/2 was a full trig class.  We are going to wait until the fall to start a college 1-2 calculus.  I saw this  college level precal class, for free, at EDX.  What makes the class stand out is that the class recommends a prior knowledge of college algebra?!  Seems like another step before college calc.  The price is right, and it is only 15 weeks that will work perfect for a summer class.  If nothing else, it seems perfect prep for SAT/ SAT Math Level II prep.  Any opinions.? Overkill?? (btw he got 690M last year).

I don't know anything about that specific course, but I know that the "GFA" courses that ASU originally published on EdX have migrated to ASU's own site, which is now called Earned Admission. The precalc course is here. It appears to be the same course that is listed on EdX, but if you go through ASU you can potentially get college credit for it, if that's of any interest. The verification certificate is $25 (covers the cost of web-proctoring exams), and then if you want to convert it to college credit after completing the course you pay $400 and the 3-credit class goes on an ASU transcript. You have up to a year to decide if you want the college credit. The GFA/EA courses are not marked any differently from any other ASU course, and there's not even any indication that it was taken online. They have expanded the courses they offer beyond the ones they used to have on EdX, and now offer a couple of different Calc classes as well. DS did two of them in 12th grade (Western Civ and Human Origins) and was able to convert them to credit and get them transferred to his current college. 

• Like 1