Menu

How have you used Human Odyssey, and too much work for 6th?

Trilliumlady

So I’ve decided to do Human Odyssey vol 1 for my daughter next year in 6th.  We’ve done SOTW 1-4 so far.  As I look at her line up of course work, I’m wondering if it might be wise of me to make this a lighter history year for her.  So, I know we can just read HO (and I got a link to how to link Oxford University Press books chapter by chapter I can have her read as well).  I’m wondering what I could “add” to this to make it sink in a bit, but not so heavy as to sink her.  Not sure if this is helpful, but her workload will include: CLE 6, Memoria Press online academy MIddle School Science 1 (first time for online class), IEW Ancient History Based Writing Lessons, R&S English 6, First Form Latin, R&S Spelling, MP Famous Men of Rome, MP Geography 1 and So You Really Want to Learn French (but just here and there, not huge emphasis. If we get two days a week I’m happy with this.  We’ve made it through lesson 3 this year), and just a logic workbook for light stuff 2xweek.  As I write this out I’m thinking yikes, that’s a lot.  So maybe just read through HO?  Advice??

I was going to suggest having her write a narration from history once a week or something, but I see that she will already be doing ancient history based writing lessons. In that case, I think I would just let her read it. It's ok to not be heavy with every subject. 🙂

• Like 2

Seems like a lot to me! My kids do better with deep than broad, though. Maybe figure it out in terms of hours? I figured a 5-6 hr school day for 6th, plus time for novel reading, piano etc. YMMV!

My then 6th grader read HO, plus some easy library books and 4 novels as her full History course. I had her outline a section of the text every other week and write a summary (1-2 paragraphs) every week. 

This student had MM6, R&S grammar, Center for Lit class 1x /mo with writing assignments at home, LfC B, and a light Science. so compared to your list, no spelling, geography, French or second history track, and a light science compared to your weekly online one.

We found lots to discuss in HO and found those discussions to be profitable and fun!!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

We used HO.  I added supplemental reading that I thought would be interesting, most of which I read aloud (I also read HO aloud).  And for output every so often I would assign a bit of writing about what we were reading about.  No comprehension questions, no memorization.  Both of my kids (ages 17 and almost 23) have a good knowledge of history and, more importantly, both enjoy it and think it is important.

Anyway, my point here is not only do I think that "just" reading and discussing with a touch of writing is adequate, I think it is preferable to other, more intensive, possibilities.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think that I’m liking the idea of cutting back for her after I laid things out on paper.  I think I’ll plan on doing FMOR on their 3 day schedule they have in the lesson plans, she’ll sit in for the 5-10 minutes it takes to read the SOTW section for the day, and will only read HO if I feel she has some extra time.  It’s just so easy to plan for so much!!

• Like 1