Menu

Grammar--Is Jensen's equivalent to Blue Book of Grammar

The long story made short is that the UM school we plan to apply to wants my youngest to do grammar "over the summer." We have already done FLL 1-4, Jr. Analytical Grammar, Fix It 1 and Grammar for the Well Trained Mind Book 1 (and started Book 2). I *think* they have had issues with kids coming in with less than stellar grammar instruction and this is their cover-all but I am pretty overwhelmed about doing more grammar after all we have done. They suggested the Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation OR Easy Grammar.  

I do have the Blue Book. I also own Jensen's Punctuation. Which of these would you recommend to use?  (I really don't want to buy anything else. We have already done so very much grammar.)

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am familiar with Jenson's Grammar, but not Punctuation.  It is very thorough. 

I would have your kids do the quizzes for the Blue Book and only work on those areas where they have trouble.  https://www.grammarbook.com/interactive_quizzes_exercises.asp

Thank you !! I didn't even know these existed. 

• Like 1

Is the UM school aware of how much grammar instruction that you have done? Sounds like this is a blanket recommendation? Would they have some sort of skills evaluation that you could have your child do to prove level of mastery in grammar? Perhaps providing a scope and sequence of the different grammar programs you have covered would suffice. 

I can understand their point because grammar instruction in traditional public school is often barely there.

10 hours ago, calbear said:

Is the UM school aware of how much grammar instruction that you have done? Sounds like this is a blanket recommendation? Would they have some sort of skills evaluation that you could have your child do to prove level of mastery in grammar? Perhaps providing a scope and sequence of the different grammar programs you have covered would suffice. 

I can understand their point because grammar instruction in traditional public school is often barely there.

Yes, I sent them a list.  It's worse for my older son.  My oldest is going to be required to take a grammar class.  They did give an "assessment" but they did not tell us grammar would be on it and it was only a very small part of the test. His test involved grammar and writing a five paragraph essay and he took 45 minutes to complete it.   I have asked to see his test but they won't do that.   I am more frustrated about my oldest needing to take another class (and paying $$$ for that) than I am about this home instruction requirement for the younger students.  My best guess is that my oldest had a brain fog day and didn't follow their instructions properly.  I don't know what my youngest did wrong--they didn't mention anything--so I think this is a blanket requirement.  I'm trying to keep a good attitude but I feel like we have done a crazy amount of grammar compared to most people.  

The Blue Book doesn't look too bad.  I looked through it yesterday. It's a lot less grammar than we have covered, but a good review of things like commas which they need reminders about.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1