Menu

Can I use AOPS alcumus when calculating grades?

My son and daughter need a mid-term pre-algebra grade in order to participate in a summer science program. 

We are using AOPS (taught at home), and I am not sure how to give a grade for the class since there aren't really tests.      I am using the art of problem-solving book and videos to teach the material, and then we use alcumus as "homework" practice.   Currently, my son (just to pick him as an example) has gone into the "blue" (aka Mastered) 24 out of 28 topics that we have covered.  (That is about 85.7%)   

Note:  At one point, they "mastered" every single topic before moving to the next.  But they slid back into green (aka just "passed") on 4 topics after missing some review problems.  This is one of the things I love about alcumus!  I tend to overestimate my student's understanding, and they really have to prove they *know* and *retain* the material with alcumus.   I also love the built-in review.

I know that the online AOPS classes base 40% of the student's grade on alcumus homework.  I was thinking of sticking to this same grading system just in case I move him over to online classes in the future.   So, how exactly is the alcumus portion of the grade calculated?  Do they go by how many topics have been mastered?  Do they do a percentage of total problems solved or something?    Next year, I will be calculating grades for an official transcript, so I would like to come up with some type of system I can stick to before that time.    

Thanks!

For the Algebra class that my daughter is in, it is calculated as follows: 40% Alcumus, 35% other homework problems (similar to Alcumus in difficulty and style), 20% writing problem (one problem of average to slightly above average difficulty in which they have to write an incredibly detailed answer), 5% class participation.

Their grading philosophy is that green AND blue equals an A. Bottom of this page outlines their grading: https://artofproblemsolving.com/school/handbook/current/documentation

• Like 1