Menu

Warriner's English Grammar and Composition: Complete Course

raindrops

I've read that this book is often used as a 6 year course, for grades 7th through 12th.  I'm thinking about using it next year with my 7th grader, but I can't figure out how to schedule the content.  Can anyone help me with this?  Or have any links to someone's schedule for this course?

Personally, I wouldn't use the Complete Course with a 7th grader.  First Course, or even Second Course (if your student already has a strong grammar background), would be better suited to a jr. high aged student.  The Complete Course wasn't written to be a 6 year course. The concepts get deeper, the examples get more complex, and the exercises get longer and more difficult as you progress through the series. The books build on each other, with Complete Course being the end book, not the beginning. 

I say this based on my copies of the 60's and 70's Warriner's Grammar; I do not know what the modern reprints are like. 

If you do decide to go with Complete Course, MODG does have a syllabus for Third Course that might help you see how could structure and schedule the course--and an answer key. 🙂  https://modg.org/curriculum/syllabus/46

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

I think it's a great reference for the parent or teacher, but yeah, I wouldn't do it over several years. We own the 2nd course, I think, as well as the complete course. I am trying to figure out if I want to stick with it (and find the whole series) or do something different. My kids tend to do better with a book they can write in, lol! That's my biggest reason for not using it as is. That, and I can't seem to help modifying every grammar program we use.