Menu

CLE or MP for reading

lulalu

I like CLE reading. Like, a lot. 

That said, I prefer it for grades 4+ because those have only 5 light units. (Then I add in good novels between LUs.) 

I've never used MP but their literature (Storytime Treasures)  looks very nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice!

• Like 1

Well- that is what I am needing the help in thinking through. This year for 1st we got CLE reading and it has been great. The workbooks cover so much. But the stories are just so-so. Not bad, but not great literature. However, we read aloud a lot so it is ok. 

But I keep looking at MP samples and like that novels are used. However, the workbooks don't seem to cover all that CLE does. 

So I need help thinking through what I want. Readers that are so-so, but cover a lot in the workbooks and get done easily. Or good novels with work. 

I do like the idea of independence that CLE gives and I will be in a very busy stage of life this next school year. From what I have read MP seems to really need interaction to fill out the workbooks together. 

I've often thought:  what would I do differently, if I could start over? And what I come to is, I wish I'd stuck with CLE (instead of bouncing around before landing back there). It's just SOLID, ya know?

My kids are very much "get it done" -- they don't care if the program is cute or fun or popular. They just want to get it done. So for them, CLE works because it's presented in a very clear, basic format. Then I just make sure to read plenty of fun classics separate from "school reading."

If you like CLE, I say stick with it! And just keep reading the good stuff during bedtimes and such. 

• Like 2

Well, I took another look at CLE after reading through this post. We're currently using the MP guides for 2nd, as I mentioned above. My impression of the CLE books is that they are sweet, wholesome, and not that interesting! I think one thing to consider is whether you want curriculum published material like CLE's books, or "real" novels like the ones that MP uses. I will say that I can tell that MP will get meatier. I wasn't super thrilled about the 2nd grade lit guides. It felt a lot like just reading short parts and then answering questions. But I can see that from 3rd on up, there are a lot of meaty questions and enrichment activitities. It's easy to skip those, but I can see now that they will add a whole new dimension into the reading. For example, in Little House in the Big Woods, it suggested having a cheese tasting party after reading the chapter about how to make cheese. I was tempted to skip it, but it was super fun!  You could always do both actually. Get CLE  and then alternate with a MP lit guide. Just an idea!

• Like 1