Menu

Anyone have a son in Trail Life?

Elizabeth86

If so, can I ask you a few questions?  

The best I can tell, it basically a more conservative boy scouts?? Right?

How often does your group meet?  What do they do on a regular basis? I see that the main focus is the father in this group, do mom's do anything?  There is not one super close by, I wanted to see about starting one in my area (or having my dh do it anyway).  It needs to be affiliated with a church? Is that right?  If you have ever started one, was it a very difficult process?  Any thing else I might need to know?  

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

How often does your group meet?  What do they do on a regular basis? I see that the main focus is the father in this group, do mom's do anything?  There is not one super close by, I wanted to see about starting one in my area (or having my dh do it anyway).  It needs to be affiliated with a church? Is that right?  If you have ever started one, was it a very difficult process?  Any thing else I might need to know?  

I can answer a few questions, but I don’t know much. 🙂 My boys are Navigators (older kids). They meet weekly for 1 1/2 hours. I think the younger groups meet every other week. We have only been a part of Trail Life for about 7 months and haven’t been in Boy Scouts, so I can’t compare. My DH takes them to the meetings and does all of the activities with them; I’ve never participated at all, other than support. If DH can’t attend the meeting for some reason, I just drop the boys off. Regular things our group does includes the meetings and camping out once a month (even in the cold!). Other special projects things have been making a float and marching in a Veteran’s Day parade, laying wreaths on soldiers’ headstones, fundraiser event, attending a Christian concert...that’s all I can think of right now. My boys seem to like it. 

The meetings are at a church, but I have no idea if that church is involved in anything or not. Maybe just a sponsor? Not sure. 

ETA: my boys have a shirt, hat, and book. I think we paid a due/fee too, but the financial commitment hasn’t seemed too bad at all. They’ve earned patches/pins, but don’t have a staff to put them on, which seems normal and ok. It seems like they work toward goals, but there isn’t a heavy focus on patch collecting, as much as just learning the skills. (In our group anyway. 🙂 

Edited by mmasc

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

My son is, in 6th grade (1st year Navigator). Our program is just finishing their fifth year.

Our group meets 1st and 3rd mondays of the month at the same location as the AHG group also chartered by the same church.  I don't really know the requirements from the national level.  I know there is a change from what the younger boys do and what they do starting in 6th grade.  They go camping, they have learned about outdoor cooking. They practiced putting up and taking down the flag.  They learn respect and following directions. They are learning being responsible for certain duties and writing down activities to get credit for them.  They have gone to ifly and participated in paintball this year. And a NASA overnight.  My son learned a bunch of things about electricity at WInter Camp.  Some of the boys did more shooting geared things (Both archery and firearms)

My daughter is in AHG and there are not NEAR as many patches in Trail Life as there are in AHG.

Edited by vonfirmath