Menu

Life after Singapore Math - Xposted

SereneHome

My oldest is finishing up 5B Standard Edition.  I will probably do 6A and 6B but then what?  I very much like Singapore and would like to find a curriculum that is similar - spiral and builds great foundation for further math.

Would love to hear suggestions, opinions, experiences. 

thank you

I'm teaching AOPS pre-algebra to a 7th grader right now. I'm loving the way it explains the math. So far (we're still in ch. 1), it has reminded me of Singapore. She needs a bit more practice with each concept, so I've been giving her extra practice problems when necessary.

I *think* you might be able to start using it after 5b, but I'm not sure. I'm teaching a small class right now, and my 6th graders aren't ready for AOPS, but they've gone quite a few years without proper math instruction.

• Like 1

How old is your student?

My DS finished 6b in 5th grade, and I didn't think he was ready for AOPS or higher level math (no race to calculus here, although I have a feeling he'll be there soon enough). Since then, I have had him work with a typical US text (Lial's PreAlgebra) and the amazingly awesome book Mathematics: A Human Endeavor by Harold Jacobs. It has been very enriching and adds depth and life to the study of math. I plan to stick with Harold Jacobs for Algebra and Geometry. 

There truly is a period of withdrawal when the Primary Mathematics era ends. 

1 minute ago, smily said:

How old is your student?

My DS finished 6b in 5th grade, and I didn't think he was ready for AOPS or higher level math (no race to calculus here, although I have a feeling he'll be there soon enough). Since then, I have had him work with a typical US text (Lial's PreAlgebra) and the amazingly awesome book Mathematics: A Human Endeavor by Harold Jacobs. It has been very enriching and adds depth and life to the study of math. I plan to stick with Harold Jacobs for Algebra and Geometry. 

There truly is a period of withdrawal when the Primary Mathematics era ends. 

Oh that's an interesting idea, I didn't think of that.  He is 10.5, in 5th grade.  I will most likely do 6A and 6B next year, but I like having 2-3 yrs planned out in a general way.