Menu

Medieval-Early Renaissance Literature for the Grammar Stage

stlily

I'm working on a literature list of for my grammar stage kiddos for next year. TWTM doesn't recommend specific titles/bios for the following people. Any recommendations?

Saint Augustine

Erasmus

Martin Luther

John Calvin

Sir Thomas Wyatt

John Knox

Rene Descartes

I'm checking my local library and Rainbow Resource but I'm wondering if there are favorites anyone can recommend. Thanks

The Fly on the Ceiling (Glass) -- delightful and humorous stepped reader for gr. 1-4, about Rene Descartes developing his cartesion coordinate system for graphing

no personal experience with this one:
- Martin Luther: Man Who Changed the World (Maier) -- gr. 3-4
(also check out the "customers also bought" titles at this link, as there are about 8-10 more children's books about Martin Luther)

also no personal experience with this Christian Biographies for Young Readers series by Simonetta Carr:
- Augustine of Hippo -- gr. 2-3
John Calvin -- gr. 2-3
- Martin Luther -- gr. 4-7
- John Knox -- no grade level listed

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

There is a series on Church history that has many of these...they share chapter length stories from their life with a quick paragraph bio at the end to fill in details not in the story.  The stories are excellent...no pictures so definitely for kids at the chapter book stage, not the picture book stage.

https://www.amazon.com/History-Lives-Box-Set-Chronicles/dp/1845508149/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=History+Lives+series&qid=1550382987&s=gateway&sr=8-1

You can get the books separately too...

Here's the people you listed in each one:

Book 1: Peace and Peril

Saint Augustine

Book 3:  Courage and Conviction

Erasmus

Martin Luther

John Calvin

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stlily said:

Where could I find the Samantha Carr books? I checked Amazon and nothing popped up. Thank you.

That's odd -- I specifically linked her books at Amazon in my thread above... ??? (It is that group of 4 titles from the Christian Biographies for Young Readers series.)

ETA...
ah-ha-ha-ha! Not so odd when I click on my links and discover the author's name is Simonetta, NOT Samantha! My bad! (:D

Edited by Lori D.

1 minute ago, Lori D. said:

That's odd -- I specifically linked her books at Amazon in my thread above... ??? (It is that group of 4 titles from the Christian Biographies for Young Readers series.)

No. I think I messaged the wrong person.  Thank you for your response. I didn't know about "The Fly On the Ceiling" or "Martin Luther: Man Who Changed the World". The 4 Christian Biographies for young readers are on my list. Thanks again for responding.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

I like the Samantha Carr books as well - we've used the ones for Athanasius and Anselm, but if her others are similar they are very well done.

Where could I find the Samantha Carr books?  I've searched her name on Amazon and came up with nothing. Thank you.