Menu

AOPS books for math elective?

Rising 9th grader likes math, is doing well with AOPS for algebra 1 this year, will continue it for algebra 2 next year. When asked what electives he wanted, he liked the idea of doing other AOPS math books in addition to the regular sequence. Into to Number Theory, Intro to Counting and Probability, Intermediate Counting and Probability (can you do that without doing the Intro book?) -- what would be a good choice, and would it likely be a whole or half credit elective?

Edited by happypamama

8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

You should do Intro to Counting before Intermediate Counting. Those books will be each half a credit.

That's perfect -- thank you! I figured we probably ought to do the Intro first but wasn't sure. Half credit is perfect. We don't strictly need a ton of credits in our state, so we can work through the Intro book, and if he works through it quickly and wants the Intermediate for a full credit second semester, great, and if he wants to take it slower and just do a half credit for the year, it'll be good either way. Thanks for answering so quickly!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, happypamama said:

That's perfect -- thank you! I figured we probably ought to do the Intro first but wasn't sure. Half credit is perfect. We don't strictly need a ton of credits in our state, so we can work through the Intro book, and if he works through it quickly and wants the Intermediate for a full credit second semester, great, and if he wants to take it slower and just do a half credit for the year, it'll be good either way. Thanks for answering so quickly!

Also look at AoPS recommendations for books. Are you using Intermediate Algebra for Algebra 2? If so, he might be ready for Intermediate Counting book. They recommend it right around precalculus. Here is their curriculum map:

https://artofproblemsolving.com/store/recommendations

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Also look at AoPS recommendations for books. Are you using Intermediate Algebra for Algebra 2? If so, he might be ready for Intermediate Counting book. They recommend it right around precalculus. Here is their curriculum map:

https://artofproblemsolving.com/store/recommendations

Thanks. I don't know why I hadn't seen their curriculum map before, but I will take a look. 

We are using the Intro to algebra for algebra 1 and 2. It seems like the first half is a fairly standard algebra 1 and the second half is algebra 2. AOPS uses the Intro book for their Algebra A and B classes, so I thought that would be fine. I hadn't really gotten past that to see how/when we would do the Intermediate algebra and PreCalc books, but I guess I should. 

• Like 1