Menu

I don't get Brave Writer

Fawnmoscato

There are a lot of components, but you don't use them all at once. There are sample schedules in Faltering Ownership, and all of the year long books. We have been using BW for years, though I always say I am probably not doing it right . . . lol Of course, I think that is the idea behind it is making it work for you...

• Like 1

Well, truth be told, I'm not a big Brave Writer fan. I couldn't "get it". However I did buy FO when it came it, and I've used a few pieces. The whole book culminates with a party at the end of the year, but that does not reflect my community or my style.

Anyway, the book is broken into 10 months of projects, and each project starts with a suggested schedule for the month. Each day has one or two things scheduled - different parts of an Arrow to do (not included), poetry teatime/nature/movie (not included), and then a third section with the oral/writing project scheduled in - which is the meat of this book.

• Like 1

I adore Brave Writer, but I didn't love FO. It does have a suggested schedule in it though. It's in the opening part somewhere. I'm nearly positive. I liked the first projects. Didn't like the second half of them. And didn't like they way they led up to a single thing. My kids didn't need to spend *that* long on a single research paper in middle school. So we did parts, but not the whole thing.

The various components of BW are a little confusing, but I'll give my standard breakdown...

Writer's Jungle - the overall book about the philosophy for the teacher, includes lots of practical suggestions as well, though they're mostly geared toward age 8 or 9 and up
Jot It Down/Partnership Writing/Faltering Ownership - one writing project per month for different ages/stages, but includes a summary of the philosophy and overall schedules for the stage
Arrow/Boomerang - one book a month with a copywork/dictation passage per week, guiding questions to talk about the book, and a little writing project to cap off reading the book (the new ones also have ideas for how to have a little party with the book)
Help for High School - a structured book about writing a persuasive essay
Online Classes - they're online classes

The various components of the "lifestyle" are that you do various things in a repeating way. So basically, once a week you...

have a poetry tea
do some freewriting
do a copywork passage (from the Arrow/Boomerang, or not)
watch a movie and discuss it

And once a month you...

read a book together to discuss (from the Arrow/Boomerang, or not)
complete a writing project (from JID/PW/FO... or not)

She also has all these other things... like "party school" which is sort of new, and all this "enchantment" stuff which is more for younger students, and covering grammar once every few years by doing a grammar program or studying a foreign language. And I think there are some other new elements... I'm losing track, to be honest. But the core of it is what it's always been.

• Like 3

The only thing I would add to Farrar's post is that you can use one part but not the other parts.

You can use just the Arrows/Boomerangs as part of your language arts program and use something else to teach writing. You can use just JID/PW/FO and use something else for copywork/dictation/literature/grammar. You can use just the Brave Writer lifestyle activities to enrich your language arts program and never use any of the rest of Brave writer. You don't have to use all the components of Brave Writer, they work well together but you can use just the parts that appeal to you as well.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

The only thing I would add to Farrar's post is that you can use one part but not the other parts.

You can use just the Arrows/Boomerangs as part of your language arts program and use something else to teach writing. You can use just JID/PW/FO and use something else for copywork/dictation/literature/grammar. You can use just the Brave Writer lifestyle activities to enrich your language arts program and never use any of the rest of Brave writer. You don't have to use all the components of Brave Writer, they work well together but you can use just the parts that appeal to you as well.

yes. This is what I mean when I say we don't "do it right." lol We do formal grammar every year, alternating light and more focused. We use Arrows occasionally,  but use the book a month idea consistently. We use BW for writing and practical application for grammar. My younger dd does copywork/dictation, everyone does a project a month but I make it a literary project every time, tying it into our book of the month. I am teaching a BW inspired writing class/book club this year and we have done a few movie/party school days which have been fun. For example, we read Oliver Twist, the kids completed the Book  Jacket project (a glorified book report). After completion of the book and project, we got together watched the Disney version of Oliver Twist, brought snacks from England, etc. 

We also do spelling separate. I love BW inspired writing, and I buy into the idea of grammar needing to be learned in context, but we also go outside the BW box a bit. I feel that the core of BW is pretty flexible. It is the balance to my type A inner craziness. 😉

Edited by ByGrace3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ByGrace3 said:

yes. This is what I mean when I say we don't "do it right." lol We do formal grammar every year, alternating light and more focused. We use Arrows occasionally,  but use the book a month idea consistently. We use BW for writing and practical application for grammar. My younger dd does copywork/dictation, everyone does a project a month but I make it a literary project every time, tying it into our book of the month. I am teaching a BW inspired writing class/book club this year and we have done a few movie/party school days which have been fun. For example, we read Oliver Twist, the kids completed the Book  Jacket project (a glorified book report). After completion of the book and project, we got together watched the Disney version of Oliver Twist, brought snacks from England, etc. 

We also do spelling separate. I love BW inspired writing, and I buy into the idea of grammar needing to be learned in context, but we also go outside the BW box a bit. I feel that the core of BW is pretty flexible. It is the balance to my type A inner craziness. 😉

Agreed. We don't "do" any BW products anymore and I have my own approach. We've never done poetry tea once a week - more like once every other week or once a month. We sometimes did more dictation and sometimes less and now for high school we're not doing any. But I still think of us as Brave Writer followers. I think that's why she calls it a "lifestyle" and not a strict curriculum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Farrar said:

I think that's why she calls it a "lifestyle" and not a strict curriculum.

We are also BW followers but not strict adherents. Other than ideas I adopted long ago when I first read TWJ, we aren't strictly doing any Brave Writer products right now either but I still consider myself to be doing Brave Writer style language arts. I still remember the first time I read TWJ and thinking, "This is exactly what I've been wanting to do, what I've been trying to do, and feel like I'm floundering. Someone finally wrote a guide book on how to implement language arts the way I always thought they should be implemented!" I've never actually used JID/PW/FO. The basic ideas are all presented in TWJ for you to implement as you see fit. I've looked at them all many times but in the end, I always feel like I've got a handle on how to do this things from TWJ and I don't need the extra hand holding from the other products. So it really just depends on your personality and how confident you are as a teacher on which product you need. If you would rather have someone spell it all out for you or if you don't have enough confidence in yourself yet to take someone's ideas and make your own plans, get JID/PW/FO. If you feel boxed in by using someone else's plans no matter how loose they are or if you are the type to always tweak everything to the point that it doesn't even feel worth it any more to try and use someone else's plans, get TWJ and just write your own.

Oh, ETA, I've never liked Julie's ideas for spelling so I've always used a separate spelling/phonics program and just used some of her ideas for extra spelling help.

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Oh, ETA, I've never liked Julie's ideas for spelling so I've always used a separate spelling/phonics program and just used some of her ideas for extra spelling help.

Same. I think that method works for some kids, but it's way too whatever for any kid with any kind of spelling or language... not even struggles, but just normal kids.