Menu

Does this Spelling app exist?

After attending a spelling bee yesterday, my kids decided that they want to study for a spelling bee. I already have the word list, but I want them to do this on their own, if at all, because I'm not up for adding something else into what I need to do. I'm not convinced that just writing them or normal spelling apps where you *write* the word are going to give them the best practice.

I think that what I really want is something like an app where you can record/input your words, then the app will say it for the kid, then *record* the kid spelling it, and then replay what the kid just spelled while showing them the spelling so that they can check themselves. I don't suppose something like this exists, does it? OR even an app that would record your spelling and turn it into letters (like a speech recognition thing) and check it for you and show you your errors and then say it correctly for you.

(We have a similar app for speech therapy, where it says a word, records you while you say it, and then plays the recording for you while you evaluate how well you said the word.)

My brother is an app developer and would happily would make one for me IF nothing like this exists and there were actually a good market for it. But I'm not convinced that something doesn't already exist, and I'm really not convinced there's a market for it. It's just that *I* want this app. lol. Any ideas? I'm really not interested in games that just have you type out the word.

9 minutes ago, Pen said:

Anki more or less

Yep, we use Anki for that type of memorization.  But I don't know of any way to make it record your answers.

I drag the audio pronunciation of a word from Forvo.com onto the "front" of a card and type the word itself on the "back" of the card.  Then the kids go through the deck listening to a pronunciation and spelling the word aloud (while jotting down the spelling if that helps them).  Then they look at the "back" of the card to check themselves.

Wendy

You can use the “type” feature in Anki where you type your answer and it compares what you typed with the answer, showing any differences. You would need to make a custom card type for this.

The card type would have two fields: 

- audio (where you record yourself saying the word along with a clarifying sentence, if necessary)

- word (where you type only the word)

The template for the front of the card would have the following:

Type the word you heart. {{audio}}

{{type:word}}

The template for the back of the card would have the following:

{{FrontSide}}

As they review the deck, they would type the words and when they tell Anki to show answer (probably by pressing the <enter> key), Anki will display a comparision of what they typed with the correct spelling. 

Because Anki uses spaced repetition, you would need to teach the proper use of the “again”, “hard”, “good”, and “easy” buttons.