Menu

How to finish 8th grade?

My DD is almost finished with Saxon prealgebra.  She was ready for Al1, but wanted more time.  Now it's January,  and I need yo find something to fill the last 3 to 4 months of school.  Right now I'm considering a few options.

1.  Start Saxon Al1, get as far as possible, pick up next fall wherever we leave off.  This may allow us to start Al2 early, too.  It also builds in extra time if the books take longer or we need yo review.

2.  Start MUS algebra 1.  I have borrowed this from a friend and it looks very simple to follow.   We could use this as much as we wanted,  then start Saxon Al1 next year.

3.  Keys To series.... I could pick a few topics to focus on.  I'm not sure how DD would like it, the pages seem a little busy, but not bad.  

I have the Arbor School books, and wanted to use them.  After reviewing thrm again, I don't think this child would like them at all.  I know the first one is not an option.  She does not like discovery based,  or the way it's presented in text.  

I think my library has the Lials textbook, do that's another option.  

DD is math phobic, a math hater (thanks public school) and her goal is just to pass as much as necessary for a 4yr degree.  Being able yo DE by Sr year would be nice- tgey have an online class fir high schoolers that does the basic math class over the entire year instead of just obe semester.

Personally, I'm a big fan of exposure to several math "perspectives" all through the elementary grades and up through Pre-Algebra -- so that would lead me to vote towards using something else from a different perspective for finishing out the school year. Then you can stop for the summer, and start fresh with Saxon Alg. 1 next fall. That takes the pressure off of "having to do math" every day this spring, since the other program would be a bonus introduction. It also gives DD a bit more time for the logic and abstract thinking portions of the brain more time to develop (those are critical for understanding Algebra topics), and it gives you the chance to see if DD might connect more easily with a different style of instruction in math, which would give you time to research what program might be a better fit for DD for the higher maths in high school.

Also, if you start Saxon Alg. 1 now, unless you were planning on continuing it over the summer, there's a good chance of a lot of forgetting of material over your summer break (esp. if the student is not fond of math), and having to back up quite a ways, or even redo the first half as a "skim review" and slowing down to re-do sections that were forgotten. I cannot imagine a math hater enjoying having to re-do a program 😵 , even if it is at a fast review pace... [oh the wailing! 😭] Just my experience with DS#2 a math hater/math struggler (from mild LDs in math, spelling, and writing).

31 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

...DD is math phobic, a math hater (thanks public school) and her goal is just to pass as much as necessary for a 4yr degree.  Being able yo DE by Sr year would be nice- tgey have an online class fir high schoolers that does the basic math class over the entire year instead of just obe semester.

Yes, that *could* be nice... And it could backfire -- a student who hates math may be far less willing or able to double their math work load just to get done in half a year... And hating math can also be a symptom of struggling with math (doesn't come easy/naturally to the student) -- which is another red flag *against* doing math as a DE course (go 2x/fast through a subject you struggle with  ). You'll probably have to wait until just before 12th grade to be able to make that call with more confidence. 😉 Just an extra 2 cents worth, lol! 

BEST of luck, whatever you decide. Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

What if you did some Keys To to keep pre-a fresh and dip into algebra topics and alternated that with Patty Paper Geometry which is a hands-on introduction to geometry? Sometimes students are notably more comfortable with geometry than algebra (or vice versa, of course,) so it might be "fun".

• Like 1