Menu

"Delight directed learning" on the transcript with course description

I have a student with an interest in an academic subject. He studies and reads about this subject and has easily spent hundreds of hours researching and studying it on his own. His extracurricular activites are related to the subject. I think he's done more than enough to give him academic credit for this subject. I want to put this on his transcript and I'm writing course descriptions. I can easily explain what he's done and list books he's read, but all of my other course descriptions have hours and weeks (180 hours, 36 weeks) and this course should just say "all the time for all four years".😂Should I change the format for this course description? Where should this go on the transcript? What year? I'm actually doing both a subject transcript and a yearly transcript as different schools we're considering have different preferences. The subject transcript is easy, but should I just assign it to any year? Maybe one that could use some extra credit hours? I was thinking of putting information about how I evaluate classes because it's different for every class. Some class grades are based on daily work and tests and others are based solely on discussion after reading the text. For this class, I might have to put "If you want to know if he deserved that A, ask him anything about the subject and he'll talk your ear off."🤣 Not really, but that's not far off.

This is my first high school student and I'm overwhelmed with all of this. Oh, and he's thinking of applying to a military academy, so I want his records to look really good.

I would remove the hours and weeks from the other descriptions.  Just state the number of credits.  I would list it as Subject I, Subject II, Subject III, Subject IV on both transcripts.  This means that you'll have to write four course descriptions, but it sounds like you'll have enough material.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

I was thinking of putting information about how I evaluate classes because it's different for every class. Some class grades are based on daily work and tests and others are based solely on discussion after reading the text.

Also, regarding this.  I decided not to get into output or how I evaluated my student's work--do you really want to state that the entire grade for a course is based on discussion?  I think you're opening a can of worms if you do that.  And, FWIW, if you're listing resources, you're going well beyond what schools do in their course descriptions.

• Like 1