Menu

Pre algebra 4 kid that thinks math is boring

mom2kando

Hello,

I am looking for a pre algebra program for next year that offers online instruction. We're open to different styles (live, recorded, adaptive, etc.). My head is spinning with so many options though, so I was hoping that someone who has been down this path may be able to help?. My girl is doing Math Mammoth 6 this year (have used MM since 3rd).

All testing (standardized/IQ) tests point to math being a strength of hers-and using MM I've never really seen her struggle, the only time she misses a problem is a calculating error/not paying attention. 

Basically it looks like she has a gift for math but she hates it and complains that it is "boring". Any thoughts?

I guess that she needs something that will challenge her and not move too slowly, but allow her to slow down when she reaches a topic that doesn't come easily. We did do a little beast academy in 3rd grade and she seemed to have fun with it. I know math can't always be "fun" but I hate to hold her back if there is a way to get her to love it.

Edited by mom2kando

I am wondering whether or not she is bored with arithmetic. Higher math is much more interesting to me. Have you seen the master list of online classes? There's lots of math options. 

I know lots of people speak highly of Derek Owens and Jann in Texas math classes. I remember people also love Eric Reini who teaches pre-algebra at Wilson Hill Academy as well. A lot of providers start opening enrollment in February for the fall, so I wish you luck in finding what you need. 

Edited by calbear
  • Thanks 1

Eric Reini at Wilson Hill Academy makes math class fun.  I was planning on my son taking pre-algebra with him next year until I attended the open house for Schole Academy.  My son is very gifted but lazy.  I like how the pre-algebra teacher at Schole Academy addresses sloth, perseverance, learning from mistakes, and the importance of showing work.  It also meets 3 times a week for about 1 hour a session rather than twice a week for 1.5 hours.

• Like 1