Menu

Help us with this math problem

Parrothead

Dd is working on miles and tons in MUS Gamma. I think the word problem is misleading. What do you think the answer should be?

A runaway horse galloped for three miles before it stopped. If the weary rancher walked after it for 21,000 feet before giving up, did he catch the horse?

I say there is no need to figure out how many feet are in three miles and compare it to 21,000 feet because the problem says the rancher gave up looking. So no, he didn't catch the horse.

The TE has the answer as 5280x3=15,840 then 15,840<21,00; yes

You're right that the wording is misleading. :)

You can understand what they are trying to convey and have the student do, but they really need to adjust the wording so it comes across how they intended.

Have you contacted MUS to let them know? Maybe they can fix it in a future printing.

Yes, I contacted them through their "live help." The lady I conversed with said to just have dd do the problem as intended because there was no other way to word the problem that would convey the meaning they were looking for.

Since dd knows how to do the problem, I let her have it with a no the rancher didn't catch the horse because he gave up.

Yes, I contacted them through their "live help." The lady I conversed with said to just have dd do the problem as intended because there was no other way to word the problem that would convey the meaning they were looking for.

Since dd knows how to do the problem, I let her have it with a no the rancher didn't catch the horse because he gave up.

Wow, interesting response! You would think they would come up with some other scenario to use for the question then. :confused:

I think that is great that your dd pays attention as she reads word problems and caught that (my dc didn't catch that when we did MUS because they rush and don't really pay attention :glare:). And :thumbup: to you for giving her credit for her answer. :)

because the problem says the rancher gave up looking. So no, he didn't catch the horse.

:lol::lol::lol:

I love it. :D

(and why do they say there's no other way to put it? They could have said Blah Blah horse ran XX miles. Blah blah rancher ran XX feet. Did he catch up with the horse?)

This would infuriate me (generally, not at the helpdesk person).

If I can reword the problem before I've had coffee, someone who is paid to do it should be able to do the same. :glare:

A runaway horse galloped for three miles before it stopped. If the weary rancher had enough energy to walk 21,000 feet before giving up, could he catch the horse?