Menu

Grammar after FLL4

carriede

DS9 is working through FLL4 this year. We've used the series since 1st grade with level 1, and it is a GREAT fit for him.

I looked through the 6 week sample of Grammer for the Well-Trained Mind, and am questioning how I should use it next year. It's definitely a similar (if not the same) format as FLL 3 and 4, so it should be easy to impliment, but the weekly and daily workload is a good deal more. We'll also be studying Latin, so I don't want to overwork him. 

We're on a roll with grammar, so I want to continue it. My question is if I should do GFTWTM, perhaps at a slower pace (2 lessons a week spread out?)? Or something like Analytical Grammar for a year or so until he can handle the workload better?

I do like the spiral review and definitions in FLL, so I don't want to give that up. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on how to handle this in between stage.

Thanks!

There are a number of threads on here regarding this. 

Your options as I understand it are:

Saxon Grammar (aka Hake Grammar)--skipping writing portions

Analytical Grammar

Rod & Staff (skipping writing portions)

Grammar for the Well Trained Mind

We are almost done with the purple book of GWTM. I like that it is similar in style as the FLL volumes. However, starting at week 20, or possibly earlier, it really ramps up in difficulty. It takes us about three days to finish one lesson.  For the review "week" it took us three weeks.  We generally spend about 20-30 minutes on grammar each day.  

This is a teacher-intensive curriculum and is intense. 

I didn't like Analytical Grammar (felt like it didn't have enough instruction)--we tried the Junior Analytical Grammar but didn't do AG.

If you don't care about diagramming, you have other options like Fix-It, Editor-in-Chief, CLE (?), etc. 

• Like 1

FYI. I don't think AG will help your child handle the workload better. There are many concepts in GWTM that are not in AG.  I would do one or the other, not both. Just slow down GWTM if you like it. It's an intense, very rigorous grammar curriculum. It doesn't need supplementation. 

Although I’m a huge fan of FLL (we did all 4), GWTM didn’t work for us. There was no retention, even with my offer daughter who is quite advanced academically. And the schedule was not a realistic pace at all. We did AG, and it’s working very well.