Menu

Honey Butter

Teaching3bears

Does this need to go in the fridge before it's opened?  We received a jar as a gift.  It contains honey, salted butter and cinnamon as ingredients.  It does not say anything on the jar about what to do with it and there is no expiration date.  Does the honey conserve the butter or should I put it in the fridge right away, or just after I open it?  Anyone know about this?  It looks yummy.

6 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

If it's real butter it should be fine out of the fridge for about a week, maybe more. 

ETA- should be fine even after you open it. I don't refrigerate honey or current stick of butter as long as I use it within 7ish days. 

But might it have been sitting on an unrefrigerated shelf in the store or at gift giver's house for more than a week?

I also leave butter out all the time, sometimes for a couple of weeks and have made honey butter. The honey butter tends to stay out longer than the regular butter because we don't use it as much. I would think if the jar is sealed it wouldn't matter how long it sat on the shelf; it's when it was opened that I might start counting. What a nice gift!

1 hour ago, wilrunner said:

I also leave butter out all the time, sometimes for a couple of weeks and have made honey butter. The honey butter tends to stay out longer than the regular butter because we don't use it as much. I would think if the jar is sealed it wouldn't matter how long it sat on the shelf; it's when it was opened that I might start counting. What a nice gift!

Now I want honey butter.

If you have a chance, can you tell me how you make it? I am pretty sure I will already have all of the necessary ingredients, so I’d like to give it a try.

34 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Now I want honey butter.

If you have a chance, can you tell me how you make it? I am pretty sure I will already have all of the necessary ingredients, so I’d like to give it a try.

It's really easy peasy. I mash up softened butter with a fork and add honey until I like it. If I want the dish to be cleaner, I'll melt the butter, add honey, and refrigerate or just let it sit on the counter until it's firm. Be sure to mix it well. Enjoy!

I've never heard of adding cinnamon, but I may do that next time. It sounds delicious!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

It's really easy peasy. I mash up softened butter with a fork and add honey until I like it. If I want the dish to be cleaner, I'll melt the butter, add honey, and refrigerate or just let it sit on the counter until it's firm. Be sure to mix it well. Enjoy!

I've never heard of adding cinnamon, but I may do that next time. It sounds delicious!

Thanks! 

Is it wrong that it’s 2:30am and I just made honey butter?  And of course, I have to try some. For research purposes only, of course. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Thanks! 

Is it wrong that it’s 2:30am and I just made honey butter?  And of course, I have to try some. For research purposes only, of course. 😉

Oh Cat, love this!  Better that than dream about it all night, right?!  LOL!  

I made cinammon butter before.  Quite good!  I didn't use honey thought.  I will try that.  I zest my cinammon - yep, buy sticks of cinammon and zest.  If you do zest fresh or use fresh herbs compared to dried I read that you need to triple the amount for fresh.   I think that's right. 1 t. powered/dried = 1 T. fresh.  Now I make some today for Christmas!