Menu

Two things I am looking for

I am very pleased that my dd almost 14 has decided to come and homeschool again after 2.5 years at public school.  I have been putting a few things together, but I am looking for ideas to plug a few gaps.

My first question is with regards to a website someone posted a while ago about a CM type program that went up to the high school years - there were a few ideas there I was interested in at the time, but they weren't relevant so I didn't bookmark it.  What was the name of this program?

The second question is - what am I going to do with French?  Dd is coming from two years of immersion and her spoken French is quite good now, and at a higher level than any of the programs I have.  From looking at hs programs, quite a few don't really seem to go far enough many offer just a year or two.  

My plan is that she can get books for reading daily at the local library down the road - they have a good selection of French books at quite a variety of levels.  I'll have her watch a weekly French movie or tv.  I may have a friend who is willing to do some oral stuff with the kids as a group or dd alone, but this is not a sure thing.  I may be able to get her to a conversation group but that is also not a sure thing.  What I am looking for in addition is a writing/grammar program for her to work on, or suggestions for something else.  

Any ideas would be appreciated!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OKBud said:

Yeah I wonder about that. Since there are no schedules, it's basically just (excellent) resource advice at this point. I was looking at 7th grade yesterday and she still calls for thrice weekly written narrations. 

In the Latin recommendations, she has 16 chapters of Wheelocks spread out over the whole year. I'd really like to see how that gets scheduled.

Yeah, I actually didn't see a whole lot that was helpful other than some of the resource stuff.  I may look at her suggestions LA for next year, I haven't really before.  Since we have only half a year to fill right now, I think I am going to go for something a little less rigorous and whole-hog.  I don't feel like I have enough time to look over it before getting started at this point, and I don't want to be over-loaded either.  My grade 5 student has been doing jr analytical grammar this year so I think I can also have my older girl do that that and it will be fine.  I suspect a lot of our grammar is going to be through Latin or French anyway.

I'm really excited about Latin though.  I know I told you I have had the kids of my friend homeschooling with us since September.  They are going to be with their dad after Christmas, and we'll all get together twice a week for some group stuff.  He's going to do Latin with them - I've reallly lost all of mine, and he hasn't - he did an MA so spent a lot more time on it -  so I think it will be pretty satisfying for the kids.