Menu

Revised 7th grade - HOw does this look?

HollyDay

Your schedule looks well-rounded. I've decided to hold off on Logic in 7th grade. I want to use TLI, and TWTM recommends starting that program in 9th grade; although, I will probably start it in 8th grade with Algebra I.

Do you have any plans for foreign language? Are you waiting for high school? Just curious...it's about the only subject not addressed in your post.

I just didn't think he was getting it and I decided after two weeks to wait and start him later. I think I will let my oldest two do this together in probably 9th or so. It was just too much for my ds at this time, but everyone is different. I just didn't feel it necessary to spend the extra time it would have taken and felt more maturity on his part would help.

I just didn't feel it necessary to spend the extra time it would have taken and felt more maturity on his part would help.

This is what I'm experiencing too. My oldest son is academically ready for Algebra I and Logic, but I think he needs an extra year to help the maturation process before we take on those higher level subjects. It's taken awhile for me to come to the realization that I don't need to push him ahead. I have a plan for junior high and high school (subject to change), and I can meet all of my goals for him without pushing him ahead right now when he might not be ready. I don't want to get to the end of 8th grade and think, "Wow, he really wasn't ready for all of that." But on the flip side, I want him prepared for high school. It's been a balancing act lately while I try to plan for his first year of junior high next year. I'm hoping all of this will be easier when my middle son gets there the year after.

They are a very light intro to various types of thinking and logic. We are using them for 7th grade (after quitting the Critical Thinking books). They are quick, fun, not too hard, but a step up from things like Mind-Benders. They also introduce logic notation.

I know one is called "Logic Liftoff". Not sure, the other might be "Orbiting with Logic"?