Menu

UGH, what do we do?

DawnM

9 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I was thinking phone pictures, something nobody could google search for safety reasons.

I am SO STINKING EXCITED FOR YOU!  That the menfolk are on board is huge.  HUGE.  You guys need a win.  Keep watching the MLS as people get ready to list in the spring.  Get your financials in order and prequalified from a lender so you can more easily jump on something you love.  And obviously consider listing your own place too, might be worth shopping around for a good realtor and getting opinions on pricing and the condition of your own property if you haven't had a private appraisal lately 🙂

We have sold and bought 4 homes so far.  We have a realtor.  We have had our house priced several times with refinancing, etc.....

But we do not want to buy until we sell our house.  With luck, we won't be "homeless" for long, but we need the equity for a big down on the next house.  

Credit scores over 800.  And based on what they wanted to let us borrow with only DH working, I am confident we don't need to worry now that I am working too.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Makes sense, we do the same thing.  I’m glad you have someone you trust already, doesn’t that make it so much easier?  But I definitely think it’s jusf a slow time of year, not a ton of new listings around here either

Yeah, pretty much only people who HAVE to move, move.  

I could call my mortgage company and see about pre-approval. 

I do hate to lose our 2.37% interest rate, I must admit.

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

That is a downside, but mortgage rates are still fairly low by historical norms.  Something to consider but your situation isn’t very tenable with the room layout and noise issue, so the mortgage rate might just be an opportunity cost paid to deal with it.

I didn't realize they were over 4%.  Grrrr....I thought we were still looking at 3.5%.  

Dawn, they are in the 4s, now, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 5.

Have you given thought to just downsizing a bit and paying cash?  I don't know your local numbers to see if that's in the range of possibility, but if you aren't going to pay cash, I'd certainly look at a home that could allow you to age in place even if you want an upper level master now.  One knee replacement surgery could make life miserable, iykwim.  

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dawn, they are in the 4s, now, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 5.

Have you given thought to just downsizing a bit and paying cash?  I don't know your local numbers to see if that's in the range of possibility, but if you aren't going to pay cash, I'd certainly look at a home that could allow you to age in place even if you want an upper level master now.  One knee replacement surgery could make life miserable, iykwim.  

We would have to move a bit too far away, and not in the same school zone.  It isn't the time.

15 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I have been so happy to have my broken leg and wheelchair in a single story house, our first one ever!  But I recall Dawn saying somewhere that in her area there really were only multi story homes, so I think that’s out.

In the school zone area, yes, that is correct.