Menu

Language Arts Curriculum Questions

JaLeSherman

Okay, so here is the back story. I started my daughter in Logic of English Foundations. She has done amazing well .. and finishing up D a full year sooner than I had planned. I had intentions of starting her with Logic of English Essentials after finishing D but her maturity at where she is, I don't think she is ready for Essentials. Plus I had some doubts because it doesn't look as reading heavy as Foundations was. So I was debating on what to switch to for a year (maybe longer if I like it enough) for the time being. I heard Phonics Road to Reading is really good, and introduces Latin later, but I didn't see any evaluation if I should start her in Book one or Book Two. Learning Language Arts through Literature looks really nice (so far she is between Red and Yellow. I imagine as she finishes I may go with Red unless she tests more solidly into Yellow) because it has a lot of reading to go with it, but when I googled the old forums in here, it seemed hit or miss, and it has been upgraded since then. 

Which would you go with? Or maybe you know something better? For what it is worth --- she is a young first grader, she'll be just shy of 6.5 when she finishes up D. I'd prefer an all-in-one because I'll be dealing with a newborn on top of two toddlers when she finishes Logic of English. But if you know a good assortment, I could be convinced ....

My son also completed LOE Foundations young, and I contacted Denise Eide with the same concern regarding maturity. She conceded that Essentials is rather dry in comparison to Foundations and would likely not be a good fit for his age.

We moved to Michael Clay Thompson (Royal Fireworks Press) for language arts, and have both thoroughly enjoyed it! It isn’t all-in-one to the extent that LOE is, with preplanned lessons each day, but a single level contains all of the elements needed for complete language arts. If you only buy the Teacher’s Manuals (which I recommend, at least for Island level) it involves five books which are worked through either one at a time or alternately, and you simply proceed from wherever you left off before. You are also recommended to read aloud ~10 chapter books of your choosing over the course of the year, and to have your child continue to practice reading as well with books of their choosing. 

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli
  • Like 1

We really didn't enjoy LLATL when we tried it.  It felt disjointed and wrong.
Have you checked out ELTL/RLTL ?  It's two programs, but we've liked both the ELTL program and the Elson readers that go along with the RLTL program.

ETA: We don't use the RLTL program, but the Elson Readers themselves also have teachers' guides available with specific lessons and writing opportunities to go along with the stories if you go that direction. 

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

My 1st grader is reading aloud to me daily and doing WWE. If your daughter will finish LOE D, she's likely able to read beginning readers to you for practice. You don't really need to do spelling or grammar in first grade, that can wait. Do copywork, oral narration, and reading practice for the rest of the year and you should be good.

• Like 1

Thank you all! I am deeply impressed by the ELTL/RLTL, I absolutely LOVE how reading intense it is. My only question is will it give me an idea of how to go about teaching the lesson? I struggled very hard with Language Arts in school, so I'm wanting to make sure my struggles (and admittedly, some intimidation) don't come out and I can sort of follow someone else's guide. It doesn't necessarily have to be scripted, but given a guided direction. 

2 minutes ago, JaLeSherman said:

Thank you all! I am deeply impressed by the ELTL/RLTL, I absolutely LOVE how reading intense it is. My only question is will it give me an idea of how to go about teaching the lesson? I struggled very hard with Language Arts in school, so I'm wanting to make sure my struggles (and admittedly, some intimidation) don't come out and I can sort of follow someone else's guide. It doesn't necessarily have to be scripted, but given a guided direction. 

Download the samples.  I found it easy to teach, and very incremental.  The first two levels of ELTL are very gentle, with copywork being introduced in B and adding written narrations in C. It isn't scripted as in 'say this/do that', but it's formatted well to be able to teach it and follow a pattern each day of read aloud/poetry/short story for narration/copywork/grammar.

• Like 1