Menu

Has anyone added a garage to their home

PrincessMommy

I'm trying to figure out how much this could possibly cost without wasting a contractor's time. since it may take several years to: a/ come up with the money and b/convince dh this is worthwhile.   My idea is to add a garage next to an addition (laundry and family rooms).  Then, under the current addition dig out the crawl space further to make a small unfinished area for storage (not exactly basement since it will be the size of one room.  We would access the "basement" storage from the garage.  But, I have no idea how to budget for this .  Is it going to be  40K or 100K??  

We have money set aside from the sale of our previous house and most of it is already going to some dedicated projects.  This one has been percolating in my brain since we moved in last year.

We added a 22 by 21 finished garage (drywall, ceiling, lights, speakers in the ceiling, etc) for under 25k.  No windows, but a 16 foot garage door and a man door. We ran our own electric but it was a one day job so probably not that expensive.  This is in a town that is struggling financially so I’d expect the cost to be higher in areas where contractors are harder to hire. 

• Like 1

my stepdad built a garage on to their home a decade ago...BY HIMSELF.   He had permits but built it as he could after work.  Some laborers stopped by one day asking if he needed workers.  He declined but told them to come back the day he needed to do the roof trusses.  They did, and they put it all up themselves.  Otherwise stepdad built the whole darn thing himself.  I know he was super frugal so that garage wasn't expensive other than the day laborer guys.  My thoughts are it could be a small $ or a large $4 depending on how much help you need to hire out. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Annie G said:

We added a 22 by 21 finished garage (drywall, ceiling, lights, speakers in the ceiling, etc) for under 25k.  No windows, but a 16 foot garage door and a man door. We ran our own electric but it was a one day job so probably not that expensive.  This is in a town that is struggling financially so I’d expect the cost to be higher in areas where contractors are harder to hire. 

Why did you put speakers in the ceiling?

16 minutes ago, Tess in the Burbs said:

my stepdad built a garage on to their home a decade ago...BY HIMSELF.   He had permits but built it as he could after work.  Some laborers stopped by one day asking if he needed workers.  He declined but told them to come back the day he needed to do the roof trusses.  They did, and they put it all up themselves.  Otherwise stepdad built the whole darn thing himself.  I know he was super frugal so that garage wasn't expensive other than the day laborer guys.  My thoughts are it could be a small $ or a large $4 depending on how much help you need to hire out. 

I'm not sure I could convince dh we could do this ourselves... I'd love to try but I think it would be above my abilities. ? 

1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Why did you put speakers in the ceiling?

Dh listens to the radio out there- and college football games - and wanted to use his vintage stereo. So he hardwired speakers into the ceiling.  He spends a lot of time in the garage tinkering w the cars and the garage is nicer than our house. 

• Like 1