Menu

Sheep’s milk allergy?

Spryte

I had no idea this was a thing.

DD has no food allergies.  But after eating a piece of frozen four cheese pizza a few mos ago, ended up with full body hives, asthma and terribly ill, in the Er.  We really could not pinpoint a cause. Even the insides of her ears swelled, it was awful.

This weekend we had a party planned for today.  So we went shopping on Sat, and stopped at the cheese bar. We tasted a few cheeses, two of which were sheep milk cheeses.  Her nose started running, she sneezed, she became visibly ill and weepy.  I thought she was getting sick.  By the time we checked out she had hives on her face and chest, so we suspected allergy and gave Benadryl. It cleared up.

Once home I checked the label of the box from the pizza month’s ago: the only thing I can think is it was the sheep’s milk cheese.  That’s the only thing different from her usual diet, that was present both times.

Obviously we will get her tested, but sheep’s milk?  Really?  Sigh.

I don’t want DD to have allergies, let me just whine for a minute.  ? DS has enough LTFAs for an army, I thought we were in the clear with DD.  

Sigh.

17 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

It’s possible!  I wouldn’t even say you’d need to get her tested.  Just avoid it.  Can she eat mutton without it bugging her?  Or touch will or lanolin?

Those are good questions, I will have to try her around those items.  I don’t think wool bothers her, or lanolin, but not positive.

When she had the first reaction - oh my.  I have never seen a person swell that way.  It was really something terrible to witness.

15 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

A possibility--is that the sheep ate alfalfa. I am allergic to goat's milk, depending on what they've eaten. I can drink it if they're on grass hay or pasture. 

Thats an interesting distinction.  I have no idea.  She tried a Petite Basque cheese, and the other was a Manchego.  On Saturday, and for the first reaction, the suspected cheese was just labeled “sheep’s milk cheese” or something vague. It was a 4 cheese frozen pizza from Target, not something we normally buy.

Sigh.  This was my kid with no allergies.  I so wanted her to stay that way!

Edited by Spryte

7 minutes ago, scholastica said:

You really can be allergic to anything. I heard about someone who is allergic to turmeric. Like anaphylactic, carry an epi-pen allergic. 

It’s true. Sometimes unbelievable, though, isn’t it?

Turmeric would be hard.

DS has gobs of LTFAs and to top it off - he’s anaphylactic to ... cats.  He’s been hospitalized twice for cat exposure.  Who would think cat allergies are more than a runny nose and red eyes??

Our allergy list is so long in this house.  I’m just at a loss some days.