Menu

Please help: I need a good basic skills workbook or book for a prisoner

justsomedude

I think he is at about the 4th or 5th grade level. Normally I would just order Saxon 54 homeschool kit (old edition) for him. Here's the wrinkle:

The prison limits each inmate to a total of ten books. If I have to buy a textbook plus an answer key plus a test booklet, that would presumably count as three books. Because I do not want to use up more than one book "slot," it is much better if I can buy something that has both questions and answers contained within the confines of a single book or workbook.

Also, the prison only accepts books fulfilled by Amazon.com.

9 minutes ago, justsomedude said:

I think he is at about the 4th or 5th grade level. Normally I would just order Saxon 54 homeschool kit (old edition) for him. Here's the wrinkle:

The prison limits each inmate to a total of ten books. If I have to buy a textbook plus an answer key plus a test booklet, that would presumably count as three books. Because I do not want to use up more than one book "slot," it is much better if I can buy something that has both questions and answers contained within the confines of a single book or workbook.

Also, the prison only accepts books fulfilled by Amazon.com.

I'd suggest Strayer Upton hardbacks: Traditional style, includes answers, and each covers several levels. You can find them at christianbook.com.

That said, have you checked to see if there are educational services or ministries available already?

• Like 1

Often prisons have educational opportunities available for the inmates and they are sometimes required. You may want to check to see what programs this prison offers. I.e., if the inmate is already in a math class several days per week, perhaps the inmate might prefer to save those book slots for pleasure reading during his/her free hours?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On October 28, 2018 at 9:30 PM, Kareni said:

You might consider Margaret Lial's Basic College Math.  

Hmm, I see though that new copies from Amazon are quite expensive.  Are you able to send a used book through Amazon.com?

Regards,
Kareni

This is what I recommend, too, if they allow used Amazon books.  The older editions are just as good as the new ones and much cheaper.  They have several used copies of Edition 8, the edition I have, that are fulfilled by Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0321557123/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1