Menu

Any exciting hi school level cross subject connections to share? e.g.

Recently I started reading Nebel's books about how children learn. He talks about how children (and of course adolescents) learn so much better when they can make interconnections, "understanding comes only as facts are integrated together into a broader, conceptual context".

I'm sure that others of you have found fascinating connections that would be helpful to start that spark of curiosity and connection. And maybe I'm wrong in my interpretation of what he meant (I'm still a beginner.) but I thought I'd give it a try...

We just happened to be studying geometry for math and starting the background of Descartes for French literature. It made both the geometry and at first "dry" French lit come alive when we were reading in the Story of Philosophy (mistake - it was in Mystery of History vol 3) about Descartes. He is the one who started analytical geometry and "invented" the (Des) Cartesian plane. He had a funny childhood where he spent a lot of time in bed and the story goes that he decided to try to describe where a fly was on the ceiling and the Cartesian plane was born....ok this is the beginning. There's a lot more in relation to developing proofs, etc that you can explore so I don't waste too much space...

But I'm wondering what special connections others of you have found over the years that made subject(s) come alive for your children...

Edited by Joan in Geneva
book name mistake

including in high school. The TWTM method lends itself to that. As a result, my children and I have seen all kinds of connections between subjects over the years. Probably some of the most memorable have been with my now 12th grader when we studied 20th century history and literature. I distinctly remember talking with him about the lifestyle depicted in The Great Gatsby and the whole atmosphere of the Roaring 20s. Reading the book helped bring to life and cement the history in an interesting way.

I'm one who went to ps and had a piecemeal history education, and I think the integration is critical to educating a child that really understands the flow of human history. It's so much easier to appreciate classic literature if one has the knowledge of what was happening during that author's life time.

We also study religion and the Bible as part of our homeschooling, and we've seen a lot of connections between Bible History, Church History, and regular old history.

I think having control over the curriculum is one of the best reasons to homeschool. Another benefit I've seen (which you alluded to) is that integrating subjects can make school more interesting. An interested and engaged student is much more likely to put in the effort required to do his/her school work well.

Just a few thoughts...

Brenda

Another French connection: it is interesting to study the French Revolution and the beginning of the science of chemistry (Lavoisier--who lost his head in the Reign of Terror). For kids who aren't science oriented, viewing science through an historical lens may captivate them. And vice versa.

Enjoy your studies.

Jane

We are using WP Sea and Sky and this first semester we doing a brief review of world history through the perspective of sea travel. At the same time we are studying oceanography.

Next semester we will study 20th century history through the perspective of flight. At the same time we will study astronomy.

Next year we will study American history and chemistry. While we will not be studying world history, the time period will be good to weave in the history of modern chemistry.

We will also weave in some literature.:)

Mandy

like the ones posted by Jane and Brenda about Lavoisier and the French Rev and the Roaring 20's and the Great Gadsby are exactly the type I'm looking for. It is true that TWTM suggestions and your studies Mandy, are the starting places for these possibilities. But sometimes my brain is sleepy and we read through the material without making the connections that really light up the brain and aren't just more "facts" if you know what I mean.

I think I'm going to start a thread asking about "living" author background type resources also.

I'd love to hear more people's "lightbulb" type realizations that are specific and cross between science and history, math and history, art, etc...

Best,

If you actually read any of the Greek and Roman classics, it quickly becomes apparent that subjects were interconnected. This is a key factor of a classical education. For example, Vitruvius wrote on architecure, yet his book spans the entire natural world and is a great ancient source for a variety of subjects, including the quadrivium sciences. So-called "Renaissance Men" like Leonardo were simply practicing a classical education. Take Leonardo's ubiquitous "Vitruvian Man" which simply depicts human proportions in relation to a square and circle, as set forth in Vitruvius' work. It's not meant to connote some futuristic or "new age" ideas, as it is usually shown. If anyone today should be rediscovering this information, it should be classical homeschoolers.

Edited by jayfromcleveland
forgot something