Menu

Talk to me about AOPS Pre-Algebra and Algebra Classes

umsami

Do you think that even somebody who is not super-mathy would get something out of them?  Would he just be suffering and gain nothing?

What are the classes like? Do they basically assume the kids watch the associated videos for the textbooks and go from there?  Is the pace very fast? Is class spent solving one or two deep problems or is it mainly lecture or ???

Thanks.

They are designed more as reinforcement/additional work for kids in school. So, the typical student has a full math load, plus this class and extra homework. I was thinking of heading into algebra with my guy next month, but I think the load will be too heavy. If your child loves math, and wants extra, this is it! But I don’t see it as a stand alone class teaching all they need to know. The pace seems quite accelerated as well. 

• Like 1

I disagree that AoPS classes are not stand alone. The main core textbooks are full courses and the courses correspond to the textbooks. I don't know anything about the pre-alg course, but the other courses are fast paced.

in terms of for an avg student, I definitely wouldn't with my kids, but others do and have shared that their kids have thrived. From my perspective, the courses take way too much time vs the gain for kids who do not excel in math and do not want/need to pursue the theory behind what they are doing. (I am not discussing understanding concepts, but digging deeper than that.)  One of my kids loved AoPS, but so far he is the only one I see the texts as a good fit for. My youngest might be like him, but at 8 I don't know yet.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2

This mathjam page should be able to answer most of your questions 

https://artofproblemsolving.com/school/mathjams-transcripts?id=468

DS12 took the intro to algebra B many years ago. It was read the book, try the questions in the book, do the online homework which includes alcumus questions and a few written questions. It was a time suck for him but he took the AoPS classes when he had too much free time anyway so having a time sucking math class wasn’t an issue in terms of time management. DS13 started with their intro to geometry and intermediate algebra class, and is a faster worker (in general) than DS12.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

This mathjam page should be able to answer most of your questions 

https://artofproblemsolving.com/school/mathjams-transcripts?id=468

DS12 took the intro to algebra B many years ago. It was read the book, try the questions in the book, do the online homework which includes alcumus questions and a few written questions. It was a time suck for him but he took the AoPS classes when he had too much free time anyway so having a time sucking math class wasn’t an issue in terms of time management. DS13 started with their intro to geometry and intermediate algebra class, and is a faster worker (in general) than DS12.

Exactly what I needed. Thanks!