Menu

Math Resources in Birmingham, AL

seaben

I'm confused because you specify Birmingham, AL.
Does the resource have to be local/exclusive to Birmingham AL? Is this friend open to online resources or to ordering a book online? Can this student shop around for a different highschool in their city and get a scholarship or permission to attend a school with a superior math program?

Is the 10th graders math teacher (and all the other math teachers in that school) incompetent? Why not just ask their teacher for books/videos/local resources that would suit there needs/interests?

If you're interested in other books, activities for a geometry lover (that can be done from anywhere) then I can make some suggestions as I have a hard-core geometry enthusiast.

I suspect the lack of responses to this post is that posters are confused by the "really talented 10th grader taking geometry"  without any actual clarification. What is the actual math background? (what math courses has the student taken? What texts? Any math circles? Math Counts in middle school?  How is talented being quantified?

You might get more responses from  the high school forum than this forum.  

• Confused 1

Any interest in math competitions? Even if they're not interested in the competitive aspect, it's a great way to meet other kids with similar interests and to find out what's going on in the area.

Here's a list of tournaments available in Alabama. Looks like it's only been partially updated for this academic year, but they could poke around and ask questions. Here's another listing I found on the AoPS site.

Vestavia Hills has traditionally had a strong math team/culture. Maybe reach out to someone in their math dept?

Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm looking for physical resources more than online ones since I'm more familiar with the latter.   From what I was told, this is a student who works at mathematical ideas on his own like analyzing Pascal's Triangle for various formulas or self deriving the quadratic equation but he hasn't had access to anything outside school and the regular math pathway there.  The friend is their former math teacher who is trying to find more resources.