Menu

I hate MLMs.

laundrycrisis

On 8/28/2018 at 8:32 AM, hjffkj said:

I am not a fan of MLMs either.  The whole business model angers me. But I've never known anyone who got sucked into one feel negatively about it when it didn't pan out, even if they didn't break even.  Mind you, I don't know anyone who invested tons of money upfront like you have to if you sold LuLaRoe.  

Do you think it’s true feelings, or trying to save face/console their pride?

1 hour ago, Targhee said:

Do you think it’s true feelings, or trying to save face/console their pride?

I think it is true, but most of the people I know who have tried them out have actually personally liked the products prior to selling so they saw it more as a way to save on things they'd be buying anyway and if they made some money on it that is great too. What seems to happen is they just end up purchasing too much stuff for themselves and realizes they're spending more than they want.

I guess I do know of one person who truly gave one of them a serious go at it. I don't know how it went for her because when she called me about hosting a party I very bluntly told her that I didn't support mlm's business model

• Like 1

The ones I know usually jump from MLM to MLM. Like fad dieters. They're never bitter over the last one not panning out because they're already SO EXCITED about the NEXT BIG THING. It's LIFE CHANGING. I do agree that not all of them are evil. The ones that are the worst require the big outlays of cash, or push getting a downline so hard. LuLaRoe is terrible. I know for Plexus you have to have a standing order, and I think if you don't have buyers for it, you absorb the product. Based off how annoying reps are on Facebook, Pexus is the woooooorst. And it will cure my husband's glioblastoma, don't ya know? I also really enjoyed the posts from my friend selling Thrive. She kept on and on about how she had so much energy! Even without her morning diet coke. Thrive gives you energy from vitamins, no caffeine! Her whole spiel was about no caffeine....Thrive has 4 different kinds of caffiene in it. At least as much as a Diet Coke. ?

I mean, technically I'm part of the statistic. I signed up to be an Usborne person. The kit was $75, and a tremendous value for what I got (every book was happily added to our personal library, save the baby book, which I gave away.) I regularly drop way more than that on Usborne. There was nothing after that - just a discount for myself that I passed on to my friends. But if you look at me as a statistic, I "lost money." If you ask me, I got a discount on something I regularly buy.

But even with that, I don't really buy from other MLMs. So many of them are predatory, and I do find most of the products inferior. The one time I caved and bought Jamberry for my kid, they did not work AT ALL even with perfectly followed directions and troubleshooting from a consultant. Learned my lesson.

• Like 2

I don't mind people trying to sell me storage containers or lipstick or scrapbooking supplies.  But what makes my blood boil is seeing posts about healing powers of "that" special oil  or that "special" pill that will feed your child all the fruits and veggies that he needs, or that shake that will make you loose weight and feel great in a NY minute.

I don't necessarily begrudge MLM companies any more than I begrudge any other corporation in their attempt to make money.  But I do think that there has to be some serious regulations and consequences for people making all kinds of health claims and people selling things that go inside of our bodies.

• Like 2