Menu

need easy to implement curriculum help for my sister

My sister  is a newly single mum of 10 youngest 8 weeks old . She had been homeschooling with a HUGE amount of assistance from others , but that is no longer possible.

What she needs is an English program that includes writing and grammar that the child can do almost completely independently -

Please note that it is half way through the year here. 

What she is using and is happy with at the moment is

12 boy grade 6 - AAS book 5, a handwriting program, saxon 54, a science program (that I do not know) SOTW, reads novels by himself for reading.

11 boy grade 3 - dyslexic- AAR 3, AAS3, saxon 3, a handwriting program, a science program (that I do not know) SOTW, music lessons at the local high school

newly 8 boy grade 2  AAR 2, AAS1, saxon 3, a handwriting program, a science program (that I do not know) SOTW ,music lessons at the local high school

just turned 5 year old - pre-AAR , an alphabet handwriting program, counting book etc.

she has  a 3  , 2 , 1 and new baby, one 17 at a high school and a 16 year old with a severe ID who is doing the equivalent of grade 5.

What she has tried is LATTEL and Writeshop. she disliked LATTEL and found Writeshop too parent intensive. She just doesn't have time to teach another subject directly. I have suggested ABeka English but thought someone might have a better suggestion.

I have suggested putting some back into primary school 

thanks for your advice

A minimalist, but sufficient for half of one year, resource might be Writing Skills by Diana Hanbury King.  https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/002919  Level A for grade 3 (and grade 2 if she wants something for him - does he really need more work?)  and Level 1 for the grade 6 ds and maybe also the one with LDs.  They are consummable workbooks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CLE for the 16, 12, 11 and 8 year old. It’s a little bit slim on writing practice, so maybe good quality book reports or something might beef that up. 

With CLE, she can ditch separate handwriting, spelling, grammar and usage, and to some extent, writing. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
Misread ages.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

A minimalist, but sufficient for half of one year, resource might be Writing Skills by Diana Hanbury King.  https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/002919  Level A for grade 3 (and grade 2 if she wants something for him - does he really need more work?)  and Level 1 for the grade 6 ds and maybe also the one with LDs.  They are consummable workbooks.  

This (level 2) looks like just the supplement I need for my 7th grader this year. Thanks!

• Like 1