Menu

Spelling You See... worth it for 1st, 4th, and 6th grader?

staceyobu

My 6th grader wanted to work on improving his spelling this year. We’ve previously used Spelling Workout, but he felt like it wasn’t sticking. (I mean, what 6th grade boy is worried about spelling!) I showed him and his 4th grade sister spelling you see, and they both loved the writing approach. I’m balking a bit at spending over $150 for 3 levels of spelling. Worth it? Or should I just let the 1st grader do explode the code and call it a day? The 1st grader has finished ETC 1-3 already.

Advice???

Edited by staceyobu

If Explode the Code seems to be enough work for your 1st grader, it's fine to just use it for 1st grade. If you think your first grader would have time for Spelling You See and enjoy it, it might be a good idea to go ahead and let the 1st grader get used to the program.

I highly recommend SYS for 1st grade...as it is is much more than JUST spelling....it is introducing the phonics...kinda like ETC, which we did use as spelling when we started at that age. SYS did not exist yet......and I wish it had as it is better than ETC.  Marne

• Like 2

I saw SYS B as one of the single most important curriculums I used with all of my 1st graders, no joke. I found it highly valuable. Part of it is that kids are still forming visual word banks and frameworks at a rapid rate at this age as they begin reading. The colorful blocking and focus on special sound chunking and the like is so helpful. It also covers copywork and handwriting as well so it is like the powerhouse curriculum of 1st grade I swear. I just cannot praise it enough. I don't reduce the amount of work or change it in any way, my 1st graders do it all.  I would find it really helpful for 4th as well as the student continues to hone the spelling skills and become more aware of those patterns. I might be the odd one out, but if I was going to trim the cost I probably wouldn't do it for 6th. You could print passages for him to copy and do dictation with while working on problematic misspelled words as they come up. I think by 6th grade that more fine tuned approach tends to work well. If I could swing it though and my 6th grader requested it, I would probably swallow the cost and do it. I am a pushover for kids that request curriculum ? 

• Like 1